Rainbow cupcakes

Recipe (added after post)

• 1 Box of Pillsbury Yellow cake mix
  • red, orange, yellow, green, and blue food coloring

Directions. Make cake as directed on box. In 5 bowls evenly separate the batter. Mix red food coloring in one bowl of cake mix until you get the desired color. Do this for the next 4 colors. Start with the red for the bottom layer and fill each muffin tin. I used about 2 tablespoons of batter for each color. Repeat with other colors until cupcakes are filled.

——————————————————————————

These were so fun to make but they dirtied up a lot of dishes! I used a box of Pillsbury yellow cake mix,  and some red, orange, yellow, green, and blue Wilton food coloring. I took a cake decorating class last Spring so I have a lot of cake decorating tools. Then, I took six bowls and divided out the cake mix and put the different food colorings in them, and mixed them up until they were the color that I wanted. After that, all you have to do is make sure the different colors have an even layer in the cupcake tins and they come out looking like this.

I’ve noticed a lot of red velvet cupcakes on different websites lately. I’m like, what is the big deal with red velvet? All you do is make the cake batter red anyways. I kind of got this idea, because I had seen the neatest looking cake made with rainbow colored cake layers and thought it would be fun to make a rainbow layered cupcake. Since cupcakes seem to be so popular. Take that red velvet!

Comments

1. jgisvold says

Like my post said, I used a box of Pillsbury cake mix. Follow the recipe on the box and just use the different food colorings.

2. Angela says

Did you use the food coloring that’s sold at grocery stores or did you have something special from your cake decorating collection? If so, what did you use? The colors are so vibrant. These would be fun for a “Wizard of Oz” Party or for St. Patrick’s day, pot of gold at the end of the rainbow and all that ;-) Thanks.

3. jgisvold says

I used food colors that I bought from Michael’s. They had a pack of like 8 different ones sold in the same box. Wilton brand of course.

4. Angela says

If only I had the talent like you do!! Every time I make something it turns out not that great.. I’m very limited on my cooking skills ;) Even I, as easy as these instructions, will mess it up! lol Looks very bright and yummy!!

5. Becky says

I used this recipe at our pride party and WOW they turned out great. Instead of eggs and oil, I used an egg substitute and plain yogurt, and man they were good. Just as a side note about red velvet, it’s not just the color that makes it awesome. Red velvet is a CHOCOLATE cake that is dyed red in an effort to replicate some gourmet chocolate effect from centuries ago. :)

6. Brita says

this is such a fun recipe! my little cousin used it for her birthday treats and the kids loved them! they were all like ” WOAH can I have that recipe?!?” haha thanks for sharing this:)

7. says

hi there! a little boy at the school i work at brought these in this week to eat with his lunch. he showed it to me and i told him how cool they were and then the next day, he had printed your page out and brought it to me! how sweet is that??? they looked so YUMMY and fun! we are going to try them today! thanks for posting!!!

Trackbacks