Bubble Up Enchiladas – Weight Watcher Recipes (Part 2)

weight watcher recipes

I think it’s ok to re-visit your favorite recipes. I’ve had this recipe on my blog once before. I made this using my favorite Enchilada sauce ever. Sure…. I could go and make my own (which I’d like to try someday), but this is so much easier. It’s a very spicy Enchilada sauce and I get at least 2 jars of it, whenever I go to Minneapolis to visit my brother. Sometimes, he’ll even bring me home a whole list of Trader Joe’s stuff that I send to him. Doesn’t he sound like the nicest brother ever?

You can do a lot with this kind of recipe. Instead of enchiladas you could make a chicken pot pie or pizza. Add some beans or corn to the beef mixture to get some more fiber in. I haven’t tried the chicken pot pie or pizza version yet, but I think that might have to be on the menu for next week. A chicken pot pie sounds good right now.

I think this photo is a lot better than what my food photography used to be. See the old version here.

Note: Pictures of recipe instructions updated as of 5/2/2012. I was getting so many questions about the recipe I decided to update the post.

Start off with browning some ground turkey or beef, whichever you prefer.

Open a can of biscuits and cut the biscuits into 4ths, like the picture shows above.

Add in your favorite jar/can of enchilada sauce. Or if you’re feeling up to it make your own. Here you can also add in other ingredients to, like corn or black beans.

Layer your biscuits on the bottom of the dish and spread the biscuits out.

Add in the beef mixture on top of the biscuits.

Then top it with some cheese and bake in the oven for 25 minutes at 350. Serve with your favorite taco toppings.

——————————————————————————–

Nutrition  Info: Calories 390 | Fat 11.5g | Carbohydrate 36g | Fiber 2g | Protein 33g

Weight Watcher Recipes 6 points (old points)

Points Plus: 10

Serves 6

1 pound lean ground turkey
1 (10 ounce) can enchilada sauce

1 (8oz ) can of tomato sauce (this optional, I do not use this but the recipe says to add it in with the enchilada sauce)
1 16 oz can reduced fat refrigerator biscuits
1 ¼ cups shredded low fat Mexican Cheese

Extra Ingredients
Green Onions, black olives, salsa, etc.
Fat Free Sour Cream

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Brown turkey and drain if needed. Mix in a can of enchilada sauce and tomato sauce. Cut the refrigerated biscuits into fourths and stir them in the meat mixture. Then you just dump it all in a greased casserole (I use 8 X 11) and bake for 25 minutes until the biscuits are cooked through. Usually I use a tooth pick to see if the biscuits are done. Take out of oven and sprinkle cheese on top. Bake an additional 10 minutes. Let stand for 5 minutes before serving.

Notes: Add in a can of black beans or corn (when the beef is cooking in the pan), or sprinkle with some green onions. Top with a tablespoon of fat free sour cream.

You can make into 8 servings

Don’t forget to check out my facebook page and like it! Thanks. ;)

Like Easy Casserole Recipes? Try this Mexican Casserole for only 6 WW PP

weight watcher mexican casserole 031

Comments

1. Elizabeth says

Also, do you mix in the tomato sauce at the same time as the enchilada sauce?

2. jgisvold says

Hi Pam. You use a 16.5 oz can of biscuits. You can also mix in the tomato sauce the same time with the Enchilada sauce. Sometimes, I don’t even use the can of tomato sauce and leave that out.

3. jgisvold says

That was the old points too. I figured out the nutrition info with the new points system and added it to the post.

4. michelle says

My points calculator shows this as 10 points . . . is that right? I was thinking about adding grilled corn, spinach, and olives . . . I was also considering doing corn tortillas instead of the biscuits . . . have you tried that? Thanks for the recipe!

5. jgisvold says

Yep, 10 points is right. You could use corn tortillas. Just roll up some beef mixture into them.

6. Debbie Freund says

I make a similar dish but instead of enchilada sauce, I used Pizza Sauce and sprinkle mozzarella cheese on top. Can also use coarsely turkey pepperoni instead of ground turkey.

7. says

We had this tonight for dinner and it was yummy! The kids loved it and the two older ones asked to take leftovers for school lunch tomorrow. Next time I will use 1 1/2 lbs of turkey and more enchilada sauce : ).

8. says

It’s so nice to be able to find a recipe that fits in with my WW plan. This was delicious and I felt like I was not dieting at all. I love that because I have lost quite a bit of weight on the plan and transitioning from losing to maintaining. I’m scared to gain it back!! So finding recipes like this will help keep me in check!!

9. Jessica says

This is delicious. So easy and cheap to make!!! I have one question though…. what is a serving size?

10. jgisvold says

I normally divide the recipe into enough equal portions so that it comes out to ten. No cups required.

11. Melanie says

I made this tonight and it doesn’t seem like the biscuits cooked all the way. The ones toward the top were mostly cooked, but the ones at the bottom were just a doughy mush. Did I do something wrong?

12. jgisvold says

I’ve had doughy biscuits before that didn’t turn out, and I had to cook them a little bit longer. I’ll use a tooth pick sometimes to see if they’re done.

13. Courtney says

I made this a couple weeks ago and the top biscuits cooked the bottom ones not at all. I had to keep stirring so the bottom biscuits had a chance at the top. Tonight I’m making this again and I think I’m going to bake the biscuits a little bit while the turkey is browning so I don’t have a doughy mess in the middle and bottom.

14. Courtney says

Ok I just checked and I used an 8×8 pan. Maybe that’s why the bottom biscuits didn’t cook because the 8×8 looks deeper than my 7 1/2 x 11 3/4 pan…..?

15. Kayla Sanders says

So I made this and added a can of diced green chilies in the meat ( also I used ground chicken breast) and a tsp of cumin … AMAZING!!!!!!!

16. Lacey Savage says

What is the serving size for the ten points? If you divide it into ten ways that makes no sense. Can someone please help me?!

17. jgisvold says

I know it doesn’t seem like you get much per serving. On the other plan it was only 6 points per serving. Now since Weight Watchers added carbs into calculations it’s a lot more.

18. Lacey Savage says

so pretty much you just cut it into ten pieces in the pan and then use that as a portion? does it matter the pan size because if you use a different size then thats either a smaller or bigger serving and thats why I am not understanding this.

19. Lucy says

What do you mean by “cut biscuits into 4ths”? Do you mean 4 thinner round slices? Or cutting vertically and horizontally across the biscuit so each fourth has a right angle and a round edge?

20. jgisvold says

Hi Lucy, You just take the biscuit and cut it in half (not horizontally). Then into 4ths like you’re cutting into a pie or pizza. Hope that helps!

21. Cynthis Ferguson says

yummm I made this for dinner last night, even the little boys loved it and that is saying something.

22. Lauren says

I was VERY disappointed with this dish. It lacked flavor and was more of a tasteless casserole then enchiladas. I followed the recipe and would make A LOT of changes if I ever had it in me to make again.

23. Monika says

I wouldn’t call this an Enchilada anything. Its a Biscuit casserole. Make it with spaghetti sauce and call it spaghetti and meat sauce. If you live in the western part of the country this is nothing like enchiladas .

24. Katie says

I don’t know why some of the previous commenters above had to be so rude. I thought this was a great recipe and it is like mexican comfort food. Just make sure you follow the actual directions at the end of the blog and not the ones by the picture. There is no mention of tomato sauce in the ones by the picture and I had made the whole thing without it and didn’t notice till i got to the end.

25. Emily says

This looks like a good recipe. I calculated it with the PointsPlus and it came to 10 pts for a serving.

26. Dana says

I have made this multiple times now because we love it so much! I brought it to a Cinco De Mayo party and everyone wanted the recipe (I did shredded chicken instead of beef and it was fabulous). I agree, I view it as Mexican comfort food. :)

27. Michelle says

I’m usually pretty open when it comes to new recipes, but I’m not so sure I liked it. I used turkey meat and wheat bisquits…but there was just something missing but I can’t pinpoint it. Maybe with some adjusting it can become a staple in our weekly menu…but for right now I don’t think I will make it again anytime soon.

28. Kindra says

I make this a lot and my family loves it. I use ground beef instead of turkey and I add chopped onion, salt and pepper, and diced green chilis in while browning. I also add black olives once everything is mixed up. My two year old son loves eating this dish.

Trackbacks

1. […] ago!, I’ve said that I will have white almond cake on my wedding day! Bubble Up Enchiladas [via] Yes, please! That is all. Creamsicle Float [via] I’m a sucker for a good creamsicle. […]