Individual mini pineapple upside-down cakes, topped with a pineapple ring and maraschino cherry. You won’t even miss any frosting on top of these. The pineapple rings don’t quite fit well in the cupcake tin, but if you squish them down in there they will. It will take up a lot of the cupcake, and makes the cake almost half the size of the tin. That’s ok though, because it’s the perfect size cake for just one person.
Instead of using 3 eggs and 1/3 of a cup of vegetable oil to make these, I used a 20oz can of crushed pineapple instead. I also threw in some unsweetened coconut in there, but don’t tell the fiancee. He doesn’t like coconut. Little does he know… bwa ha ha ha… If you use a can of crushed pineapple instead of the oil and 3 eggs it calls for it will probably lower the points plus value to 4. Not bad for a cupcake.
Nutrition Info: 184 Calories | 8 gr Fat | 28 g Carbs | 1 g Protein | 1 g Fiber
Points Plus: 5
Ingredients from Taste of Home
- 2/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/3 cup butter, melted
- 2 (20 ounce) cans sliced pineapple
- 1 (18.25 ounce) package yellow cake mix
- 3 eggs
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 12 maraschino cherries, halved
- In a small bowl, combine the brown sugar and butter; mix well. Spoon into 24 greased muffin cups. Drain pineapple, reserving the juice. Trim pineapple to fit the muffin cups; place one ring in each cup.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the cake mix, eggs, oils and 1-1/4 cups of the reserved pineapple juice; mix well. Spoon over pineapple, filling each cup two-thirds full. Bake at 350 degrees F for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Immediately invert onto wire racks to cool. Place a cherry in the center of each pineapple ring.