Baked Mozzarella Sticks

I tried making baked mozzarella sticks using panko bread crumbs and that didn’t really work well. They ended up looking like this.

A friend suggested to maybe try freezing the sticks made with panko bread crumbs for awhile so that they don’t turn out like baked mozzarella fingers. I never did end up trying that method. I think this one works just fine. I had come across a recipe for fried mozzarella sticks using wonton wrappers and there was a comment below that said to try baking them instead. What a great idea, and that ended up working very well.

I used some low fat 2% cheese sticks from Sargento, cut them in half and rolled them in egg roll wrappers. Wonton wrappers and egg roll wrappers are pretty much the same thing, according to the lady at the grocery store. You just half to cut the egg roll wrappers in half. Brush them with a little bit of olive oil and sprinkle with some salt. Bake in the oven for 15 minutes and take them out and turn them. Continue to bake for another 5 minutes or until golden brown.

1 stick (I cut mine in half)

Calories 65 | Fat 4.12g | Carbohydrate 4.25g | 3.25g | Fiber 0.2g

Points Plus: 2

Ingredients from taste of home

Your ads will be inserted here by

Easy AdSense.

Please go to the plugin admin page to
Paste your ad code OR
Suppress this ad slot.

4 pieces of string cheese cut in hallf (I used Sargento Reduced Fat Mozzarella cheese sticks)

4 egg roll wrappers cut in half

olive oil

salt

Marinara or spaghetti sauce

Directions

Place a piece of string cheese near the bottom corner of one egg roll wrapper (keep remaining wrappers covered with a damp paper towel until ready to use). Fold bottom corner over cheese. Roll up halfway; fold sides toward center over cheese. Moisten remaining corner with water; roll up tightly to seal. Repeat with remaining wrappers and cheese.

Brush cheese sticks with olive oil and sprinkle with salt.

Bake at 400 degrees for 15 minutes. Turn and bake for another 5 minutes. Serve with marinara sauce or whatever sauce you like to dip your cheese sticks in. I actually like salsa.

Comments

1. says

YUM! I love “bar food,” but it’s always so bad for you! Great idea! I will be trying these soon! :)

2. Heather says

I can’t eat fried food (can’t digest oils) so this sounds absolutely perfect for me. I miss mozz. sticks sooooo much. THANKS!

3. says

These are incredibly yummy! I used wonton wraps for mine, I just wish I the cheese wouldn’t squirt out the sides and burn while cooking. It still tastes awesome but I don’t feel like I could make them and serve them for others.

4. Jessica says

I made these last night but the egg roll wrappers had a white tint powder (not to sure how to describe it) on them after baking. I sprayed them with Canola Oil Cooking Spray (since that is all I had). I had this issue once before when I tried to use wonton wrappers. Do you know what went wrong or how to fix?

5. jgisvold says

Was the white tint powder on it before baking? If so, I think that’s just flour and should be ok.

6. Tyler says

I can not get the cheese to stop coming out. I tried wrapping them tighter and even tried turning the heat down a bit…..my last attempt will be to freeze the cheese stick not sure yet if that will work….they do taste pretty good though even though the cheese comes out

7. jgisvold says

When I made these, the cheese oozed out quite a bit too. I kind of like that because the cheese got crispy in the oven.

8. says

I made these this evening. I love the idea of baking them, but next time I will use half of a wrapper. It was too much ‘dough’. But love this idea! Just needs a little tweaking! :-)

9. amy says

I made these with wonton wrappers and light sting cheese and instead of olive oil just sprayed them with cooking spray before sprinkling with salt. Turned out really good!

10. eme27fl says

How on earth did you keep these from exploding? Ive done these twice and ended up with wonton mozzarella caserole instead due to them exploding cheese all over. Won’t try them again. :-(

11. Heather says

These are so good, but mine oozed cheese all over before they were half way cooked as well. Someone suggested freezing the cheese first, has anyone tried that?

12. jgisvold says

I believe the cheese is going to melt through no matter what. I’ve tried making baked cheese sticks with bread crumbs before and they did the exact same thing. I kind of like it when the cheese oozes out a bit then it gets all crusty.

13. Kristin says

These look really good! you could also add pepperoni into it or a slice of ham anything thin really…

Trackbacks