It’s pizza and pasta combined into one easy dish. Rotini pasta, pasta sauce, italian turkey sausage, low fat cheese, and turkey pepperoni. The original recipe for this had 2 tablespoons of olive oil, and by reducing the amount to 2 teaspoons, that reduced the fat greatly. I don’t get why people think they have to use a ton amount of olive oil when sauteing vegetables or browning a big hunk of meat? I successfully browned chicken breast thighs with only 2 teaspoons of olive oil.
If you like pizza and pasta then you’ll really like this dish, and it almost reminds me of hamburger helper. I’m going to come up with my own taco pasta casserole using this method. Just think of all the different combinations you can come up with.
Ingredients from food.com
Calories 254.3 | Fat: 8.4 g | Carbs: 24.5g | Fiber 1.9 g | Protein 19.7g
*If using 8 servings instead of 10, it is 9 points.
Points Plus: 6
1 lb ground lean turkey sausage
1 medium onion , chopped
1 clove garlic , minced
1 teaspoon italian seasoning
2 teaspoons olive oil
1 (26 ounce) jars spaghetti sauce
8 ounces rotini pasta , cooked and drained
2 cups shredded reduced fat mozzarella cheese (20 oz)
32 slices of turkey pepperoni
1. Brown ground beef, onion, garlic and seasoning in oil.
3. Stir in pasta, spaghetti sauce and 2 cups cheese.
4. Place mixture in 2 greased 9x13x2 inch baking pans or 4 square pans.
5. Sprinkle with remaining mozzarella.
6. Top with pepperoni.
7. Cover and freeze up to 3 months.
8. To cook now: Bake uncovered at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes, until heated through.
9. To bake frozen casserole: Thaw in refrigerator overnight and bake at 350 for 35-40 minutes, till hot.
If you like easy casserole recipes try these!
Mexican Casserole 6.5 Points Plus