Trisha Yearwood’s Chicken Tortilla Soup

Chicken Tortilla Soup 007

Chicken Tortilla Soup 010

I’m not a country western fan, but this soup might change my mind. This is Trisha Yearwood’s version of chicken tortilla soup. She had this on her show the weekend before Halloween and it looked really good, so I thought I’d give a try. All of her recipes that she makes looks really good, and she also sometimes will sing on her show. She has a really nice voice and she can cook.

Pictures updated 9/14/15

I edited this recipe a bit to make it lower in sodium. I used salt free canned corn and low sodium chicken broth. I know they have low sodium black beans, but I didn’t get any of those. Also, Mrs. Dash has some Faijta seasoning that I just loved with this and it’s salt free! I love finding canned products that are low in sodium because of my blood pressure. Now, if only I could find a good low sodium salsa. This is by far, my most favorite Chicken Tortilla Soup recipe I have on this blog. It’s great to make once the Fall Season starts coming and great topped with cheese and crushed tortilla chips.

Chicken Tortilla Soup 029

This recipe might be my new go to recipe for chicken tortilla soup. The recipe makes a TON, so if you’re only making the soup for 2 people I’d half the recipe. I’m thinking about freezing the rest of it because there’s so much. One of the reasons I like this recipe is because it doesn’t call for a whole brick of velveeta cheese. It’s nice and creamy without that processed cheese. To make it lighter I cut back on the half-and-half and used 1% milk. You can also cut back on the butter a bit and use light butter. I’d make make this recipe again.

Servings: 10 (1 cup)

points plus: 8 (used 1% milk to figure nutrition info)

Calories 328, Fat: 10.3g, Carbs: 29.6g, Fiber 6g, Protein: 30g

Trisha Yearwood's Chicken Tortilla Soup
  • •3 tablespoons butter
  • •1 teaspoon garlic
  • •1 medium onion (chopped)
  • •2 tablespoons flour
  • •3 14oz cans low sodium chicken broth
  • •4 cups low fat milk
  • •1 cup prepared salsa
  • •4 chicken breasts (boneless skinless (already cooked)
  • •1 15oz can kidney beans
  • •1 15oz can black beans (salt free)
  • •1 15oz can corn salt free
  • •2 teaspoons ground cumin
  • •1 package fajita seasoning (I recommend Mrs. Dash)
  • •1 15oz can cream of chicken soup
  1. Step 1
  2. Melt the butter in a large pot over medium heat. Add the garlic and the onion and saute until softened, 5 minutes. Add the flour and stir well, cooking for 1 minute more. Add the broth and the half-and-half. Stir in the cream of chicken soup, salsa, chicken, beans, corn, cumin and fajita seasoning. Continue to simmer over low heat for 15 minutes.
  3. Step 2
  4. Crumble the tortilla chips into individual bowls and top with a ladle of soup. Sprinkle each serving with cheese and add a dollop of sour cream.

If you like Trisha Year Wood Recipes try the following….

Country Quiche

countryquiche 010

Pineapple Upside Down Cake

pineapplecake 033

Key Lime Cake

limecake 001

Or her Peanut Butter Balls!

peanutbutterballs 006

* indicates required

1. Mindy says

Little confused. In directions u say to stir in cream of chicken soup. I don’t see this in list of ingredients. Yes or no? And what size can if yes? Thanks. Sounds yummy.
    Also I’m assuming chicken breasts are suppose to be cooked & diced before hand. It doesn’t say.

2. Sosiboys says

I didn’t care for this at all the fajita seasoning is too overpowering its all you taste when eating this. What a waste of money.

3. Stargazer says

If you want to end up looking like Trisha Yearwood, use the four cups of half and half called for in the recipe. If you want a shot at staying slim, use the low fat milk version.

4. Heather Hafer says

I added a couple tbsp of lemon juice and aprox 4 tbsp of fresh cilantro chopped. It added a freshness that I felt was lacking.

5. Jennifer says

I made this tonight and it was a huge hit! I used fat free half and half and it was amazing! I’m taking leftovers for lunch tomorrow :)

6. Laurie says

If you want to end up like Stargazer, make rude comments that aren’t appropriate and very judgmental.

I also used fat-free half-n-half and it turned out very well. Thank you, Tricia, for sharing your recipe.

7. says

I really like the sound of this recipe ( Trisha Yearwoods’ Chicken Tortilla Soup). It looks so easy to make and looks delicious too! I cant wait to make it. One change I might make to it is I would use canned chunk chicken instead (4 cans?) because I am all about quick and easy. Thank you Trisha!

8. Drew says

When do you put the chicken in and do you chop the chicken? Sorry, pretty new at this! Also, how would you cook this in a crock pot? Just put all the ingredients in in the morning? How long do you cook and on what temperature? Could you freeze before hand and put in after thawing over night?

9. says

Loved the taste! But the sauce was thin and needed thickening which I did with a little cornstarch and water. Served over rice with a side of Chinese stir-fry veggies. Delicious!

10. TLK says

I make this all the time but I grill/BBQ my chicken breasts and use 4 ears of fresh corn on the cob (grilled & taken off the cob). I also add chopped, grilled mini sweet peppers. It gives the soup a fresh flavor…..we do this on most group camping trips and everyone loves it!

11. Lynaia says

I love this recipe. I am gluten free and find this a go to recipe all the time. I can’t use the fajita seasoning so I always use an enchilada seasoning packet. Yummy! There is no difference in taste if using half and half, skim, or unsweetened almond milk. I have tried them all and it always tastes great! Super yummy.

12. Karen says

I don’t spend too much time reading blogs…I love to cook and beeline right to a recipe. Furthermore…..I scan a recipe’s list of ingredients and assess whether the steps to make it add up to too much time. Bam! This recipe passed my test. As I was in the process of making this soup I so surprised to see the directions tell me to stir in the half and half….what half and half? I am sure it will be delicious nonetheless. Thanks for sharing.

13. Jenna says

You don’t have to use the half in half the recipe calls for. I’ve made this with just milk and it still turns out fine. :)

1. […] In the Fall/Winter season, I love trying new soups out. There is nothing more cozy than enjoying a bowl of soup on a cold, gray day. I made this for my family last week and it was a hit. The kids loved that I put chips in their bowls, so it was a game to find all the chips he-he! This recipe makes a lot, so be prepared for leftovers. I took the leftovers and put it in my freezer for another day!  Ingredients: 3 tbsp butter 2 tsp minced garlic 1 onion, chopped 2 tbsp flour 42 oz chicken broth 4 cups low-fat milk 1 cup salsa 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cooked and shredded 1 (15 oz) can kidney beans, drained 1 (15 oz) can black beans, drained and rinsed 1 (15 oz) can corn, drained 2 tsp taco seasoning 1 package fajita seasoning 1 (15 oz) can cream of chicken soup Tortilla Chips Cheddar Cheese, shredded Sour Cream Directions: Melt butter in a large pot. Add the garlic and onion, and allow to cook about 4-5 minutes, or until tender. Add in the flour and allow to cook an additional 1 minute. Add in the chicken broth and milk. Stir in the cream of chicken soup, salsa, shredded cooked chicken, kidney beans, black beans, corn, taco seasoning, and fajita seasoning. Mix until all is combined. Allow to simmer over low-medium heat for about 15-20 minutes. Once warmed through, crush some tortilla chips into the bowls and serve soup over chips. Top with cheese and sour cream if desired. Recipe Adapted from: Trisha Yearwood […]