Yesterday, was baking day. Made some Chocolate Peppermint Cookies, Pumpkin Cupcakes, and caramels. I’m STILL in a baking mood after all that. The caramels still need to be dipped in chocolate and they were made for a picture re-take from last year. It’s my favorite caramel recipe.
We went shopping at Sam’s Club tonight and boy did I ever do something stupid. The guy at the check out said our card was expired. No it wasn’t, my Mom and I got a shared membership there this summer, how can it already be expired?! Then when Ben and I were driving home, I remembered I had given them my old membership that we got back in 2009. I just need to learn how to get rid of expired cards right away. Thankfully they let us take off the 45.00 membership card there and get our money back. That was kind of confusing trying to explain to a clerk. There was so much bad food my mind was telling me not to buy there. King sized pretzels, macarons (yes they have them in a box there now), caramels, dark chocolate covered almonds, salami, cheese…. the list just goes on and on. Could have spent about 200.00 there. If someone just got me those things listed above for Christmas I’d be one happy person on Christmas day. Just give me food please. Salami, cheese, caramels. Best stocking stuffers EVER.
- ¾ cup butter
- ½ cup white sugar
- ½ cup packed brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon peppermint extract
- ½ cups all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 3 Tablespoons of crushed peppermint candy (to sprinkle on top)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease cookie sheets.
- In a large bowl, cream together butter, white sugar, and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg, then stir in vanilla and peppermint extracts. Combine flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt; gradually stir into the creamed mixture. Mix in the chocolate chips. Drop by rounded spoonfuls onto the prepared cookie sheets. Garnish the cookies with crushed peppermint candy.
- Bake for 12 to 15 minutes in the preheated oven. Allow cookies to cool on cookie sheets for 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.