Guys, I’ve finally mastered fudge! The last two fudge recipes I’ve tried making didn’t require any candy thermometer, and maybe that is the reason why the 2 recipes didn’t turn out? The recipe just called for boiling the fudge for 3 minutes after everything was combined and the fudge ended up looking like goo. I kid you not! I’ve had many fudge making goo disasters in the past couple of weeks up until I tried this recipe. Not to mention, it takes longer than 3 minutes for the fudge to boil and get to softball stage which is 234, anywhere from 8 to 10 minutes to be exact.
I’m just so thrilled because fudge making is not EASY. Sure, there are those easy ones where you just melt some chocolate chips and stir in some sweetened condensed milk and just wait for the fudge to set in the fridge. I call that lazy mans fudge. The true fudge that requires a lot of stirring, is fudge made with love, because you know that person took a lot of effort and upper arm workouts to be standing there constantly stirring it. Ha ha just kidding.
Notes: If you don’t have a can of evaported milk, just use whatever milk you’ve got in the fridge. Add on some sea salt for that salt sweet combo.
- 1 stick of salted butter (1/2 cup)
- image: http://s3.amazonaws.com/cdn.shopximity.com/images/play.png
- campaignIcon Coupons
- 5 oz. can of evaporated milk (or 10 tablespoons if you only have a big can)
- ¼ cup corn syrup
- 2½ cups granulated sugar
- 7 oz. jar of marshmallow creme or 2 cups mini marshmallows
- 1½ cups chocolate chips (I use semi-sweet)
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 1 cup nuts (optional)
- Line an 8x8 inch square pan with parchment paper and grease it lightly.
- Place the chocolate chips and vanilla in a large bowl. Set aside.
- Combine the butter, milk, syrup, and sugar in a medium pot (it should come about half way up the sides of the pan). Cook on medium heat
- Bring the mixture to a boil, stirring constantly until it reaches 234ºF (known as "the soft ball stage") on a candy thermometer
- (or you can test if it's done by putting a spoonful of the boiling mixture into a cup of ice water. If you form it into a soft ball, it's ready).
- Remove from the heat and stir in the marshmallows or marshmallow creme until the mixture is smooth.
- Pour the mixture over the chocolate chips and stir until all the chocolate is melted and the mixture is smooth. Add the nuts if using.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared pan and cool completely before cutting.