Chicken Tinga Tacos – spicy tacos with marinated chicken, cotija cheese, pico de gallo, and sour cream.
This Memorial Day weekend, my family went to a new Mexican style restaurant in town called Vinyl Taco. It was new to my Mom, brother, and his wife, but it wasn’t new to me. I had eaten there once with my friends quite a long time ago and enjoyed their fish tacos and queso. They were all impressed with the food and thought it was wayyyy better than Mexican Village. Usually, our go to Mexican spot is Mexican Village because they have really good margaritas. Not anymore. Thank GOD!
We ordered their guacamole and chips, margaritas, chicken tortilla soup, and I had the Chicken Tinga Tacos. This taco has spicy marinated chicken with pico de gallo, cilantro, queso fresco, and mexican crema. I knew, that when I got home, I had to try making it myself and I was already surfing the internet for a Chicken Tinga Recipe. If you’re wondering what Tinga is…. it is a Mexican dish made with shredded chicken in a sauce made of red and green tomatoes, chipotle chili and onion strips. The chicken is very versatile and it would go on anything like nachos, tostadas, tacos, a salad, you name it.
My new goal in life is to eventually try all the tacos on this menu.
In 2 more days I’ll have my new laptop. I’m so sick of this one! It keeps on freezing and shutting down by itself. It doesn’t like all the pictures of food porn I have on my computer.
- 3 lbs boneless, skinless chicken breast
- 1 small onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (14.5 oz) can fire-roasted diced tomatoes
- 2-3 chipotle peppers in adobo, minced, plus 2 tablespoons adobo sauce from the can
- ½ cup chicken stock
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon Mexican oregano
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon sugar
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- Extra Toppings
- Cotija cheese
- sour cream
- pico de gallo
- Combine the Chicken Tinga Taco ingredients in a slow cooker and set to low for 5-6 hours, or until chicken shreds easily. Discard the bay leaf. Remove the chicken from the tomato sauce mixture and shred with two forks. Return the shredded chicken to the slow cooker, stir to combine, and cook for an additional 30 minutes.
Recipe adapted from Hoast the Toast