Perfect Summer Fruit Salad is a great salad to take to a Summer BBQ or cook out. The longer this salad sits in the marinade the better it gets! Will disappear in seconds!
Usually I don’t buy fruit, because I get my fair share of it at work. Summer time I tend to buy more fruit because all my favorites are in season such as cherries, strawberries, blueberries, and watermelon. We’ve had some really tasty watermelon at work and it has been so good. Lately, I’ve been buying a lot of bananas so I can have some banana ice cream for breakfast. Who says you can’t eat ice cream for breakfast? Well, I say you can.
This summer fruit salad is great and I just love the extra addition of the marinade. The orange juice and lemon juice really give this salad some flavor. The longer this salad sits in the juices, the better it gets! The original recipe called for some sugar but I thought that wasn’t necessary and fruit already is sweet as it is. If you have left over fruit salad at the end you can freeze the rest of the fruit and use it for fruit smoothies.
Heads up, I won’t be blogging for the for week of June because I’ll be on vacay in Hawaii. I’m so excited because there will be plenty of fresh fruit and seafood there and that is what I plan on eating all day long while on my trip. I’ll post some pics when I get back!
- ⅔ cup fresh orange juice
- ⅓ cup fresh lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon grated orange zest
- ½ teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups cubed fresh pineapple
- 2 cups strawberries, hulled and sliced
- 3 bananas,
- 2 oranges, peeled and sectioned
- 2 cups blueberries
- In a bowl add the orange juice, lemon juice,, orange zest, and lemon zest to a boil. Whisk to combine.
- Layer the fruit in a large, clear glass bowl in this order: pineapple, strawberries, bananas, oranges, and blueberries. Pour the cooled sauce over the fruit. Cover and refrigerate for 3 to 4 hours before serving.