These chocolate chunk cookies have browned butter and chunks of chocolate in them. Another great recipe from Ree Drummond.
I did couch to 5k a while ago and decided I should start running again. That program now has an app for your phone which is pretty nice. It prompts you when to start running and when to start walking. The original couch 2 5k downloads had techno music playing in the background and today, I was forced to listen to the sounds of traffic coming from the Interstate. That made it hard to hear the running and walking prompts. I did a little a searching and found out that I can sync my itunes playlist to my windows phone, so I can have music playing in the background. Yay! That will be super nice and I plan on doing that 3 times a week a long with the gym classes I like to go to. Exercising more, has becoming one of my goals, and lately I’ve been sucking at that goal, because last week I was sick. I’m getting better though.
After running, I made these cookies. What better way to reward yourself after running with a fabulous freshly baked cookie? I swear, this is what people do in Minnesota. We were at a bakery, and I was watching some of the people come in and out. Looks like a lot of them that just got done working out, would stop into the bakery and buy themselves a treat. I have NO PROBLEM with that. If I lived in Minnesota, I’d be doing that myself. Super long run, then super good cookie from a Bakery. Especially if it’s Patesserie 46 bakery. 😉
These brown butter cookies are AMAZEBALLS. It completely changes the way I make chocolate chip cookies from now on. Brown butter is pretty easy to make too. You just melt some butter in a sauce pan for awhile, and the butter will eventually start to foam at the top and turn brown. Make these cookies today! Too bad my husband can’t have any of these cookies right now, they’d be gone by the end of the day. Make sure to have these cookies with a glass a milk.
Chocolate Chunk Cookies
- 1 cup (2 Sticks) Salted Butter
- 1 cup Brown Sugar, Packed
- 1/2 cup Sugar
- 2 whole Large Eggs
- 1 Tablespoon Vanilla
- 2 cups All-purpose Flour
- 2 Tablespoons (additional) All-purpose Flour (rounded Tablespoons)
- 2 Tablespoons (heaping) Instant Coffee Granules
- 1 teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 8 ounces, weight Good Semi-sweet Chocolate, Chopped Into Chunks
- 1/2 cup Finely Chopped Pecans (optional)
- Add one stick of butter to a medium skillet over medium heat. Allow it to melt and bubble up for 3 to 4 minutes, swirling the pan to keep the butter moving around. When the butter is a medium golden brown, remove the pan from the heat (it will continue browning in the pan over the next 30 seconds or so!) Pour butter (and any solids in the bottom of the pan) into a heatproof bowl and allow it to cool completely, about 30 minutes. Meanwhile, allow the other stick of butter to soften.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees*.
- Cream the softened butter together with the brown sugar and regular sugar until it’s nice and combined. Add the eggs and vanilla, and beat until smooth, scraping the bowl if necessary to make sure everything is incorporated.
- With the mixer on medium-low, very slowly drizzle in the cooled melted butter, making sure to add all the darker brown solids. Scrape the bowl the mix again for 20-30 seconds, until everything is combined.
- In a separate bowl, combine the flour, coffee granules, baking soda and salt. Stir together, then add it in 1/3 increments, mixing on low, until it’s totally incorporated. Scrape the bowl and beat for a few more seconds. Stir in the chocolate chunks and nuts, if using.
- In batches, scoop by heaping teaspoon onto a baking sheet lined with a baking mat, Press extra chocolate chunks into the tops of each cookie, if desired. Refrigerate scoped cookies for 15 minutes, then bake for 9 to 10 minutes, or until golden brown. Remove from oven, then transfer cookies to a cooling rack. Repeat with the rest of the dough. Serve cookies with a big glass of cold milk!
I left out coffee granules and added in some chocolate chips, since I only bought 1 candy bar at the store.