I chipped off a part of my tooth last night just chewing on some animal crackers. The part of the tooth that chipped off was decaying and the dentist had told me it needed a crown. Not anymore I guess! I just saved myself over $1,000 because I was just going to end up getting it pulled anyway. It is way in the back where my wisdom teeth were, and I don’t think I’d end up missing it that much. Maybe one day I can get a replacement for it, but for now I can’t really afford it. Have you ever had a tooth pulled before? A good thing I am going to the dentist tomorrow to get a cleaning and tell them what happened to it. What a way to start off a blog post by telling everyone that my tooth was decaying. Hopefully that doesn’t gross you or anything. 🙂 I was blessed with my Dad’s tooth genes cause he was always going to the dentist for fillings. Lucky me!
I’ve been trying to find recipes to use up the left of that shredded chicken that we cooked in the slow cooker yesterday. The recipe calls for ground up chicken but I just skipped the browning part in the pan, and added the chicken in at the end until it was warmed through. This was very tasty. You can sub in enchilada sauce if you don’t have any salsa. Some salsa verde would be good in this too. I left out the oil and used cooking spray to cook the onions. Very yummy, and I calculated the points to be around 7 points plus per serving. There is 8 pan.
Just some yummy black beans, yellow corn, roma tomatoes, avocado, rice, and chicken all combined into one pot. I could eat this for the rest of the week!Print
One Pot Cheesy Chicken Rice
- 1 – 1.5 lbs lean ground chicken
- ½ yellow onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon canola oil, plus an extra drizzle for cooking the rice
- 1½ cups uncooked instant brown rice
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- 2 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 (14.5 oz) jar salsa
- 1 cup corn kernels
- 1 cup canned black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 Roma tomato, diced
- ¾ cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 avocado, peeled and diced
- 1 green onion, chopped, to garnish
- Fresh cilantro, to taste
- Add oil to a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add in the ground chicken and break it up a bit with a wooden spoon. Add the diced onion and cook until the chicken has browned and the onion is translucent.
- Move the chicken and onion over to one side of the pan and drizzle just a bit more oil on the empty side. Add in the uncooked rice and toss it around briefly to toast it.
- Stir in the spices, chicken broth, salsa, corn, and black beans. Bring the liquids to a simmer and then reduce the heat to low. Cover and cook for 18 minutes, or until rice is tender and liquid has absorbed.
- Taste the rice and adjust seasoning to your liking. Sprinkle the tomato, cheese, and avocado over the rice and then cover once more until the cheese melts, about 2 minutes. Then sprinkle with green onion and cilantro and serve!
Recipe adapted from Host the Toast
1 serving is 7 Points Plus (1 cup)
Smart Points: 9 smart points
- Serving Size: 8
- Calories: 321
- Sugar: 5
- Fat: 13
- Saturated Fat: 4
- Carbohydrates: 29
- Fiber: 5
- Protein: 23