I’ve been taking this new gym class on Tuesday and Thursday nights called Tabatas. Tabatas is an intense training class for 30 minutes where you do so many moves as you can in 20 seconds and you repeat that 7 times. 6 or 7 times, something like that. The killer for me is always burpees. Those things SUCK. The thing I love about that class is, is that I sweat every time. There’s just something about sweating that gives me a high.
This Whole Wheat BLT Caprese Panini is actually fairly healthy. I saw this recipe in the Better Homes and Garden magazine for light and fit recipes. 216 calories per sandwich and only 5 points! That is without the bacon. If you add the bacon in, the sandwich is more points. 7 points to be exact. Not bad points wise, for a Weight Watcher sandwich. I used whole wheat 12 grain bread.
Whole Wheat BLT Caprese Panini
- 8 slices whole wheat bread
- Nonstick olive oil cooking spray
- 2 medium tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 4 ounces fresh mozzarella cheese, cut into 4 slices
- 1/2 cup fresh basil leaves
- Balsamic vinegar (optional)
- 8 slices of reduced fat bacon
- Coat one side of each bread slice with cooking spray. Place bread slices on a work surface, coated sides down. Arrange tomatoes, mozzarella cheese, and basil on four of the bread slices. Cover with the remaining four bread slices, coated sides up; press together gently.
- Preheat a panini grill or heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add sandwiches to hot panini grill or skillet; cook for 3 to 4 minutes or until golden brown and cheese is melted, turning once if using a skillet. Serve immediately. If desired, serve with balsamic vinegar for dipping.
WWP+ = 5 (without bacon, 7 with bacon)
Smart Points: 9
Nutrition and recipe from Better Homes and Gardens.
- Serving Size: 4 (1 sandwich)
- Calories: 216
- Fat: 8
- Carbohydrates: 23
- Fiber: 4
- Protein: 12