I’ve been through a lot of mixed emotions lately and I’ll tell you why. Back in April, I got a divorce. It’s been hard for me to come up with recipes for this blog, because that means cooking for one person now. I’ll see a casserole recipe that I want to try and then think to myself, no I can’t make that, there’s too many servings and lots of leftovers. I’m not a leftover person. It’s been mostly just eggs, protein, and a frozen pizza every now and then.
I’ve been trying to work on making myself feel happy again. I’m taking classes online to get a better job, practicing my violin again so I can play in an orchestra some day, going to the gym to make myself look and feel better. Sometimes, I feel like I have a sign on my forehead that says creeps, please come to me! This week there was one incident and it made me feel mean, and mad at the same time. The dude brought it on himself anyway. It wasn’t my fault. They can stop coming to me any day now, that would be nice.
This sauce. What can I say? It’s butter… that has been browned and seasoned with sage and crushed red pepper flakes. I added some crispy bacon on top and parmesan cheese. The only thing that could possibly make this better, is adding a little brown sugar to the brown butter. You ever have chocolate chip cookies made with brown butter? If not, then you’re missing out. A little sweetness would have been nice in this dish, but overall it was very decadent.
Gnocci with Brown Butter and Sage
- 6 tablespoons salted butter
- 1 tablespoon red pepper flakes
- 4 sage leaves, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup shaved and/or coarsely grated parmesan cheese
- 1 package of store bought gnocci.
- Parmesan cheese and bacon optional
- Make the sauce: Melt the butter in a large skillet over high heat. Cook, stirring, until the butter develops brown flecks and smells nutty. Watch it closely to keep the butter solids from burning. Remove from the heat.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the gnocchi; wait until they float to the surface, then simmer 30 more seconds. (Taste one to make sure it’s cooked through.) Return the brown butter to medium-low heat. Scoop the gnocchi from the pot with a spider or slotted spoon, transfer to the skillet and toss until some of the brown-butter flecks stick to the gnocchi. Add the red pepper flakes, sage and a few tablespoons of the gnocchi cooking water; toss again. Remove from the heat and add half of the cheese. Divide among bowls and top with the remaining cheese.
- Read more at: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/marc-forgione/gnocchi-with-brown-butter-and-sage-recipe.html?oc=linkback
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 326
- Fat: 18
- Saturated Fat: 11
- Unsaturated Fat: 3
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 24
- Fiber: 2
- Protein: 9