I am so tired of rain! The last two weeks, that is all the weather has been doing. It will rain for almost two days straight. The weather will get really nice on the weekend and then somewhere in the middle of the week the temperatures will hover in low 40’s and at night they will get down to almost below freezing temps. You never know what you’re going to wake up to some mornings. Will there be a nice thin layer of ice on the ground when I wake up? So far, I’ve been lucky but this weekend it’s finally supposed to get cold. I HATE freezing rain and HATE driving on it. It’s like playing that one level on Mario Kart where you have to drive on an ice rink, but no one is out there throwing banana peels at you.
This recipe came to me from two different recipes. There was a lot of brown bits leftover on the bottom of the pan when the chicken was done cooking. I split two chicken breasts in half and seasoned them with a bunch of spices such as chili powder, smoked paprika, brown sugar, chili powder, and cumin. Then I sauteed that in a skillet until it turned brown. To get the brown bits off the bottom of the pan, just pour in some chicken stock and start scarping this off. Don’t get rid of them, that is where the flavor is! The sauce will reduce, since the pan is so hot, and then take it off the skillet and add in some heavy and a little bit of lime juice. Garnish with what you like. I used some scallions and diced up some roma tomatoes. This chicken is really good the next day in some quesadillas.Print
One Skillet Southwestern Chicken
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup of chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons of heavy cream
- 1 squeeze of half of lime
- In a small bowl mix together all the spices. Season your chicken breasts with the spices. Squeeze a little lime juice and olive oil on the chicken. Let the chicken marinade for 30 minutes.
- Heat a skillet until the skillet is piping hot. Add about a tablespoon of olive oil to the pan and sautee the chicken on one side for 5-6 minutes. Flip to the chicken to the other side and cook for another 4-6 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through. It will no longer be pink in the middle.
- Take out the chicken from the pan and set it aside on a plate. Add in about 1/4 cup of chicken stock. The pan will still be hot so it will boil really quickly. Start scraping off the brown bits on the bottom of the pan and Once all the brown bits on the bottom of the pan are scraped off, take the skillet off the burner. Add in the heavy cream and squeeze of lime juice. Garnish with tomatoes, avocados, or cilantro.. Chopped scallions are good also.