We’ve got about 1 hr and 19 minutes left until the mid season finale of The Walking Dead returns. That is how I spent my Valentine’s Day. Watching the Walking Dead marathon while this Slow Cooker Chicken Queso Chili was slow cooking away in the crock pot.
Rememebr that Taco Soup I made last week? Well, it’s got pretty much the usual Mexican ingredients: salsa, corn, and black beans. The taco soup had beef in it, and this has chicken. Add in any kind of cream cheese and monterey jack cheese to the pot and bam instant queso and no Velveeta! I was trying to text my friend velveeta and auto correct just wanted to keep on changing it to velvety. That’s pretty darn close to Velveeta right? 😉
You can eat it just like it is with a spoon or dip some chips into it.
1 hour left to go now! I’m so stinking excited for that show to finally come back on. 🙂Print
Slow Cooker Chicken Queso Chili
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 3 cups salsa, divided
- 1½ cups water
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 3 bell peppers, minced
- 1 14 ounce can corn, rinsed and drained
- 1 jalapeno pepper, minced (without ribs and seeds)
- 1 14 ounce can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 4 ounces light cream cheese
- 6 ounces Pepper Jack cheese
- cilantro for topping
- blue corn tortilla chips for yummy dippin’
- Place the chicken breasts, 1½ cups salsa, water, cumin, chili powder and salt in the crockpot. Cover and cook on high for 3-4 hours or low for 6-7 hours. When the chicken is done, shred the meat directly in the crockpot using two forks.
- Pat the minced peppers dry with a paper towel. Place the bell peppers in a large nonstick skillet over high heat without oil. Cook for 4-5 minutes WITHOUT stirring. This creates the browned, roasted look out on the outside of the peppers. Stir once and repeat until the peppers are nice and browned. Set aside. Repeat this process with the corn and jalapeño together.
- After the chicken has been shredded, add the roasted peppers, roasted corn and jalapeño, black beans, remaining salsa, and cream cheese to the crockpot. Stir and replace cover, allowing the cream cheese to melt. Adjust the consistency of the soup by adding another ½ cup of water if needed. Let the soup simmer for another 15-30 minutes until everything is smooth and melted. Just before serving, stir in the Pepper Jack cheese.
Recipe from pinch of yum. I used mozzarella cheese and no bell peppers with this.
4 smart points per 1 cup of soup