Chicken Vesuvio is a dish from the Midwest and it all gets made in one pan. We like our meat and potatoes here! Steak and potatoes, chicken and potatoes, beef stew, kneophla soup which is a chicken stew made with potato dumplings.. You name it… I found this recipe in the Cook’s County Local Eats Cookbook, that my cookbook group has been making recipes from. Instead of wine, I subbed in some more chicken stock and the sauce was still great. The potatoes were nice and tender after simmering in the sauce with the chicken.
Browning chicken in a pan is a cooking method that I can never seem to get right, and whenever I try to make browned chicken it ends up looking like tortured chicken. I used my big blue dutch oven for cooking this and you think that would help right? I want to know what the secret is to get that nice golden brown chicken on each side? If you have any tips or tricks please leave a comment and let me know!
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, trimmed
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 pounds of small red potatoes
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 1/2 cups of chicken broth
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 1 cup of frozen peas, thawed
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 teaspoons of lemon juice
- Pat chicken dry with paper towels and season with salt and pepper. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in 12 -inch nonstick skilet over medium heat until just smoking. Brown chicken well. 3 to 4 minutes per side; transfer to plate.
- Add remaining 1 tablespoon oil to skillet and heat until simmering. Add potatoes, cut side down, and cook until golden brown, about 7 minutes. Stir in garlic, rosemary, oregano, and 1/2 teaspoon salt and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add broth and wine, scraping up any browned bits and bring to boil. Return to medium-low and simmer , covered until potatoes are tender and chicken registers 160 degrees, about 12 minutes. Using slotted spoon, transfer chicken and potatoes to serving platter and tent loosely with aluminum foil.
- Increase heat to medium -high and cook, uncovered, until sauce is reduced to 1 cup, about 5 minutes. Stir in peas and cook until heated through, about 1 minute. Off heat, whisk in butter and lemon juice and season with salt and pepper to taste. Pour sauce over chicken and potatoes and serve.
Recipe adapted from Cook’s County Local Eats
- Serving Size: 4
- Calories: 573
- Sugar: 3.81
- Fat: 23.14
- Saturated Fat: 6.51
- Carbohydrates: 33.7
- Protein: 55.43