This stuffing is so good, it will convert any stuffing hater!
I asked my Facebook fans what their favorite Thanksgiving side was and most of the responses I got were stuffing and mashed potatoes. As far as I’m concerned, green bean casserole can walk out the door and I would rather have some other greens like brussel sprouts or asparagus.
Once you master all the basic ingredients of stuffing you can add whatever you like to it. Bacon, sausage, cranberries, raisins, and apples just to name a few other additions to stuffing. You can buy those bags of stuffing where the bread is already cut up at the grocery store. If you don’t mind using some knife skills just cut up your own bread. Heck, even some old buns, or biscuits can be used in place of bread. Once the base of the stuffing is made, I added in some cooked sausage and dried cranberries (not listed in recipe).Print
- 2 baguettes, country, or sourdough bread
- 6 tbsp. butter, divided, plus more for buttering baking dish
- 2 onions, chopped
- 4 stalks celery, thinly sliced
- 2 tsp of poultry seasoning
- kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 c. freshly chopped parsley, plus more for garnish
- 3 c. low-sodium chicken broth
- Tear or slice bread into cubes and leave out overnight to dry OUT. (Alternately, place bread on baking sheets and bake at 200º for 20 minutes.)
- Preheat oven to 350º and spray a pan with non stick cooking spray. In a large skillet over medium heat, melt 3 tablespoons butter. Add onion and celery and cook until soft and fragrant, 8 minutes. Stir in poultry seasoning and cook until fragrant, 1 minute more. Season with salt and pepper.
- Stir in remaining 3 tablespoons butter and parsley.
- Place bread in a large bowl and add skillet mixture and chicken broth.
- Transfer mixture to prepared baking dish and cover with foil. Bake until cooked through, 45 minutes, then remove foil and cook until bread is golden, 15 minutes more.
- Garnish with parsley and serve.
Smart Points: 8
- Calories: 225
- Sugar: 1
- Fat: 15
- Saturated Fat: 5
- Unsaturated Fat: 2
- Carbohydrates: 14
- Fiber: 0
- Protein: 9