Hey guys! Got another air fryer recipe coming at yah. I just love the convenience of this kitchen appliance and I also love the convenience of store-bought products when you’re in a hurry. Instead of going to the freezer section of your grocery store for mozzarella sticks try making your own next time. I did and it’s pretty easy. You can keep mozzarella sticks ready in your freezer so all you have to do is take them out and pop them in the air fryer for 6 minutes.
Panko vs Regular Bread Crumbs
Both types of breadcrumbs work for this recipe. I tested both. The only difference was that the panko bread crumbs were much crispier and tastier.
When I was testing these out in the air fryer for timing, I did a couple of tests. When you first get an air fryer you will want to do a lot of experimenting on cooking time. My go-to temperature for breaded food is 400 degrees. I put the mozzarella sticks in for 2 minutes. Opened up the basket and they weren’t done yet. I also did the same thing at 4 minutes. Still not done. 5 to 6 minutes seems to be the just the right amount of time these air fryer mozzarella sticks need before becoming just a goo of string cheese.
Freezing for later
You do not have to make these all right away. You can set the mozzarella sticks on a sheet pan once they are all coated in the bread crumbs and egg, and flour. Set the sheet pan in the freezer for 1 hr. After the hour is done they will be frozen and you can then take them out and put them into freezer bags. This is perfect for when you have friends over or company for game day or tailgating.
Air Fryer Mozzarella Sticks
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 12 lite or reduced-fat mozzarella cheese sticks
- 1 cup seasoned fine dry bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup of marinara sauce
- In a shallow dish stir together first three ingredients (through Italian seasoning). In another shallow dish combine eggs and whisk them until well combined. Dip cheese sticks into egg mixture, then coat with flour mixture. Dip again in egg mixture, then coat with breadcrumbs. Place on a baking sheet and freeze 1 hour or until firm.*
- Set your air fryer to a temperature of 400 degrees. If your air fryer doesn’t go that high, just use the highest setting. Air Fry frozen cheese sticks, six at a time for 5 to 6 minutes.
- In a small saucepan heat marinara sauce over medium heat. If you don’t want to use a saucepan to heat up your marinara sauce, warm the marinara sauce up in a small bowl in your microwave. Serve cheese sticks with warm marinara sauce.
1 mozzarella stick is 3 smart points
The video doesn’t show the Italian Seasoning and salt in the flour mixture. Feel free to add it.