Do you like spicy? Amatriciana Sauce is the sauce for you! Bacon is cooked in a pan until golden crisp. Don’t drain the bacon fat either. That is the other part of the beauty of this sauce. Smoky bacon and spicy red pepper flakes. Top this sauce with some parmesan cheese and fresh parsley or basil. I’d definitely make this dish again. Found this recipe in Food Network’s magazine and the couple who made this is Debi Mazar and Gabriele Corcos from Cooking Channel. They have a show called Extra Virgin. I know I know… I watch way too many cooking shows. I like to watch that show because Debi has a pretty fashionable wardrobe. It’s kind of fun to see the different kinds of outfits she wears while cooking in the kitchen. I’m also jealous they live in Tuscany.
I also made this garlic cheese bread from the Pioneer Woman. Yet another tv on Food Network. Dear Lord, somebody tell me to stop watching cooking channels! Now I better go and clean the kitchen because red sauce splattered everywhere on my stove. lol.Print
- 1 28 -ounce can whole peeled tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for serving
- 1/4 pound guanciale or pancetta, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 6 fresh basil leaves, torn
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 pound bucatini or spaghetti, cooked until al dente
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh parsley
- Grated parmigiano-reggiano or aged pecorino cheese, for serving
- Puree the tomatoes to a smooth, creamy consistency in a food processor or with an immersion blender; set aside.
- Heat the olive oil over medium-high heat in a large skillet. When hot, add the guanciale and saute 5 to 7 minutes, until golden brown.
- Add the garlic and red pepper flakes and saute 1 minute. Add the pureed tomatoes, basil, and salt and pepper to taste. Reduce the heat to medium low and stir well. Cook, uncovered, 15 minutes, or until the sauce darkens and thickens. Toss with just-cooked pasta and serve with a sprinkling of parsley and cheese and a drizzle of olive oil.
- Serving size: 1 cup.
myWW points: Blue Points: 7; Green Points: 7; Purple Points: 7
- Serving Size: 1 cup