Apple butter and french toast were made for each other. Since my apple butter recipe is zero points it is fun to make stuffed french toast with it or use the apple butter as a sauce on top of the french toast!
This recipe requires 2 steps. Step 1 is to make the apple butter. Apple butter is something I love to make every Fall because it makes your house smell SO GOOD. The next step is to make French Toast. French Toast is stupid easy to make. I made it so many times when I worked as a Cook’s Assistant at the dining center in college.
When I’m following the WW program I like to use low-calorie bread. The brand of bread I used that was 45 calories a slice was the Fit and Active bread from Aldi. Sarah Lee has a bread that is 45 calories a slice and so does Harvest Company.
If I were serving this for company, I’d use a brioche, challah, or sourdough loaf for the French Toast.
I use almond milk because I have a dairy sensitivity but any type of low-fat milk or cashew milk can be used in place of almond milk.
How to make Slow Cooker Apple Butter
6 pounds of apples, peeled and chopped (I used honey crisp)
2 teaspoons of ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon of ground cloves
Slow Cooker Preparation: Combine all ingredients in a 5-quart electric slow cooker. Cover and cook on low 10 hours or until apples are very tender.
After the apples are done cooking, use an immersion blender to puree the apples inside the slow cooker or take the apples out carefully with all the juices and puree them in a blender or food processor.
How to Make Apple Butter French Toast
1. In a large shallow dish, whisk together milk, eggs, vanilla, and pumpkin pie spice.
3. Spread each of 4 slices with 1 tablespoon apple butter. Top with remaining slices and dust with confectioner's sugar. Serve immediately. Serves 4.
2. Place 4 bread slices in milk mixture and let soak 1 minute per side. Coat a large non-stick skillet with cooking spray and heat over medium. Add soaked bread to skillet and cook until golden brown about 8 minutes, flipping once. Transfer to a wire rack set in a rimmed baking sheet and place in oven. Wipeout skillet. Repeat with remaining bread.
2 slices of french toast + 1 tablespoon of homemade apple butter
I used sugar-free maple syrup for topping and Reddi Whip (optional)
Other French Toast RecipesPrint
1 cup low-fat milk
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
½ teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
8 slices of 45 calorie whole wheat bread
nonstick cooking spray
¼ cup of homemade apple butter
2 teaspoons confectioners sugar
1. In a large shallow dish, whisk together milk, and egg white, granulated sugar, vanilla, and pumpkin pie spice.
2. Place 4 bread slices in milk mixture and let soak 1 minute per side. Coat a large non-stick skillet with cooking spray and heat over medium. Add soaked bread to skillet and cook until golden brown about 8 minutes, flipping once. Transfer to a wire rack set in a rimmed baking sheet and place in oven. Wipe out skillet. Repeat with remaining bread.
3. Spread each of 4 slices with 1 tablespoon apple butter. Top with remaining slices and dust with confectioner's sugar. Serve immediatly. Serves 4.
WW Freestyle Points: 3
- Category: Easy
- Method: Skillet
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 2 slices of french toast
- Calories: 183
- Sugar: 9g
- Fat: 4g
- Saturated Fat: 1g
- Carbohydrates: 27g
- Fiber: 6g
- Protein: 11g
Keywords: apple butter french toast
I am not affiliated with WW formerly known as Weight Watchers in any way. I am just a member who likes to create WW recipes and share them with everyone. I am by no means a nutritionist but try my best to figure out nutrition info for every recipe. Freestyle is the name of the current program of WW and smart points are calculated for the recipes.
How is this a WW recipe?
NO FOOD is off limits on WW and WW themselves stresses that a lot on their social media pages. That is one reason why I love WW. You can pretty much eat ANYTHING to lose weight just as long as you stay in your daily points range or are in a calorie deficit.