I made these Quinoa muffins for breakfast this week. I’ve been getting pretty sick of having greek yogurt in the morning for breakfast and have been wanting something different. Something baked and healthy like these quinoa muffins. They’re filling and low in sodium which I’ve been trying to watch lately. I’ve been counting my calories and have noticed I’ve been eating way too much sodium lately. It sucks cause salt is in everything.
Next time you make muffins, try adding some cooked quinoa to them. These muffins aren’t like normal muffins. The muffins are a little bit heavier than regular muffins and have more of a chewier texture. They’re still really good and taste the same as a regular muffin would.
Freeze them in a bag and take them out the next morning and warm them up in the microwave.
They will last for 1 – 2 month in the freezer.
The recipe calls for chocolate chips. I used 1/2 cup of frozen blueberries and 1/2 cup of dried cherries.
- 2 cups cooled, cooked quinoa
- 1 cup white whole wheat flour
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup packed dark-brown sugar
- 1–1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. salt
- ½ cup mini chocolate chips
- ¼ cup canola oil
- ½ cup buttermilk
- 1 large egg
- ¼ cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350º. Line a muffin tin with paper liners or spray with cooking spray.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, mini chocolate chips and quinoa.
- In a small bowl, whisk together oil, buttermilk, egg, yogurt, and vanilla. Add milk mixture to flour mixture and stir just until combined. Divide among muffin cups.
- Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center of a muffin comes out clean, about 25 to 30 minutes. Cool muffins in pan for 5 minutes then transfer to a wire rack to cool. Enjoy!
- Makes 12 muffins, serving size: 1 muffin.
myWW points: Blue Points: 9; Green Points: 9; Purple Points: 9
- Serving Size: 1 muffin
For the rest of the recipe please visit Yummy Healthy Easy!
6 points plus
Total Fat 5.92g
Total Carbohydrates 36.89g
Dietary Fiber 2.1g