This cake is super fun to make for the 4th of July or Memorial Day weekend. To make the tie-dye effect, all you need are three different measuring cups or squirt bottles. Take 1 color and pour it into a measuring cup, then repeat that step for the next two colors. I used a 9X13 in cake pan and started with the color red. Only pour in about 2 to 3 tablespoons at a time, and then keep on pouring the different colors on top of each other until you have no more colors anymore. The cake ends up looking like a beautiful, patriotic tie-dye cake and you could do this for any Holiday and use the right colors. It’s fun, but requires a lot of bowls. 3 bowls for the 3 colors, and then 3 measuring cups.
Have a safe and happy Memorial Day weekend!
Disclaimer: This is not a Weight Watcher recipe.
Recipe adapted from delish.comPrint
- 8 oz. butter, plus more for buttering pan
- Flour, for dusting
- 1 box red velvet cake mix
- 1 box white cake mix
- Blue food coloring
- 8 oz. cream cheese
- 3 c. confectioners’ sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- red, white and blue sprinkles
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Butter an 8-inch round baking pan and line with parchment paper. Butter the bottom and sides of the pan and dust with flour.
- Prepare boxed cake mixes according to package instructions. Divide the white cake batter in half in two separate bowls. Stir in about 6 drops of blue food coloring into one of the bowls.
- Divide the there colored batters evenly between three squeeze bottles. (You can also use liquid measuring cups.)
- Start with red. Squeeze about a 1/4 cup of batter into the pan. Then squeeze about the same amount of the white batter directly on top of the red, followed by an equal pour of the blue batter. Continue alternating between the three batters, making a bulls-eye pattern, gradually decreasing the amount of batter you pour.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the middle of the cakes comes out clean. Let cool in pan for 10 minutes, then transfer to cooling rack to cool completely.
- Make the Frosting: Beat together butter and cream cheese until combined. Add the sugar and vanilla and beat until fluffy, 3-5 minutes.
- Frost the cake and decorate with sprinkles. Slice and be amazed.
- Calories: 440
- Sugar: 48
- Fat: 24
- Saturated Fat: 13
- Unsaturated Fat: 5
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 55
- Fiber: 1
- Protein: 2