To start of the weekend right, make these browned butter rice krispie treats with caramel. I turned these krispie treats up a notch by adding gooey caramels, chocolate chips, and letting the butter brown in the pot before adding in the marshmallows. Browned butter adds this extra flavor of richness to the rice krispie treats.
If you haven’t noticed on this blog yet, I’ve been really watching the treats lately. I used to make a new treat every weekend. Sometimes even twice a week, but now since I’m watching my sugar, I’m only making them once every 2 two weeks. Sorry, if that disappoints you. I’m also really interested in using coconut oil in my baking and other flours like rice or coconut flour.
Which leads to a good story. When you try to cut out sugar in your diet you miss certain treats like candy. Gummy bears and peanut butter cups are my fave. I found some sugar-free candy and decided to give it a try. On the back of the bag on most sugar free products like candy, it says WARNING: MAY CAUSE LAXATIVE EFFECTS. Well, I’m just going to say, both Ben and I experienced those side effects and now we have some sugar-free candy that we’re afraid to eat. Maybe I’ll only eat a couple of them at the time? I was so surprised how good the gummy bears tasted too. They tasted like any regular gummy bear with real sugar in it at the store. Sad face. Sugar just stinks in general. The refined stuff gives you diabetes if consumed too much and the sugar substitutes like Stevia leaves a bad aftertaste in your mouth. Guys, I give up! If you have a favorite way to bake without any side effects please let me know! I’m tempted to try anything.Print
- 6 cups of Rice Krispie Treats
- 1 cup of butter, melted
- 1 bag of mini marshmallows
- 60 caramels, unwrapped
- 1/4 cup of evaporated milk
- 1/2 cup of chocolate chips
- In a dutch oven melt the butter on medium heat until the butter has turned brown.
- Once the butter has melted, add the bag of mini marshmallows until the marshmallows have melted. Add in the 6 cups of rice cereal.
- While the marshmallows are melting, melt the caramels in a microwave safe bowl for 60 to 90 seconds on high. Pour in the 1/4 cup of evaporated milk. Set aside.
- In a 9×9 pan spread half of the rice krispies on the bottom. Sprinkle 1/4 cup of chocolate chips over the rice krispies. Then the melted caramel and then the chocolate chips. Gently poor the rest of the rice krispie treats over the caramel and chocolate chips. Place in fridge until the treats are set and cooled.
myWW points: Blue Points: 11; Green Points: 11; Purple Points: 11
- Serving Size: 1 bar
- Calories: 241
- Sugar: 14
- Fat: 15
- Saturated Fat: 9
- Unsaturated Fat: 3
- Trans Fat: 1
- Carbohydrates: 24
- Fiber: 1
- Protein: 2