I don’t know about you, but I could eat tomatoes, mozzarella, and basil on top of bread every night for dinner or lunch. AKA Caprese Costrini. Breakfast maybe, but seriously God bless those Italians for coming up with this flavor combo together. This weekend, I planted some basil and I already have tomatoes started in my garden. I can’t wait for those two plants to start growing so all I need to get at the grocery store is some fresh mozzarella cheese and some bread. The bread really matters too. Get a nice crusty piece of bread to go with this.
Toasting bread on a skillet and then rubbing some fresh garlic on top of warm bread takes this over the top. I normally don’t buy fresh garlic because I hate it how the garlic get onto your fingers and makes them smell. For this bread, it’s well worth the smelly fingers.Print
- 1 tomato
- 1 ball of fresh mozarella cheese
- 5 basil leaves, cut into finally slim slices
- 5 slices of good crusty bread
- 1 garlic clove
- pepper for taste
- olive oil
- Brush each slice of bread with some olive oil, then toast the bread on a skillet until brown. Once the bread is toasted, rub the bread with some garlic.
- While the bread is toasted prepare the tomatoes. I cut mine into thin slices and then diced them into smaller ones. I tore the mozzarella into about the same size as the tomatoes were. Then topped the bread with the tomatoes and mozzarella. Garnish with a drizzle of olive oil and some pepper.