Cherry mojito is a fun summer time cocktail to make that uses rum, cherry syrup, mint, and lime. Tastes like an alcoholic cherry limeaid.
So It’s Cherries for Charity time at one of the grocery stores in town. This is my absolute favorite time of the summer because cherries are on sale for cheap and cherries are my favorite fruit. So far, I’ve gotten 4 bags of cherries. I’ve even purchased a cherry pitter to make life easier. I’ve been looking up different cherry recipes on line and have decided on a few. I really want to make homemade maraschino cherries and a cherry pie. The first one is this cherry mojito.
Have you ever muddled mint before? One year I planted some mint in my garden. Bad idea. Mint is a weed and it keeps on coming back. Not that I don’t mind that it keeps on coming back. It’s good for garnishing desserts and making drinks like mojitos. Sometimes, I’ll even take a mint leaf and rub it back and forth on my teeth for a natural tooth brush. Just kidding! 🙂 This drink is summer in a cocktail. It almost reminds me of a cherry seven up but with rum in it.
Recipe adapted from Eat Live RunPrint
- for cherry syrup
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 lb sweet cherries, pitted and roughly chopped
- for assembly and serving
- 1 tbsp minced fresh mint (each glass)
- 1/4 cup cherry syrup (each glass)
- juice of 1 lime each
- 2 oz light rum each
- 8 oz sparkling water each
- Combine the sugar and water in a small saucepot on the stove. Bring to a boil and stir so that all the sugar dissolves. Remove from heat and add fresh, chopped cherries. Stir and refrigerate for about 2 hours, or until chilled. You can make this cherry syrup ahead of time and keep covered in the fridge.
- When you’re ready to make your mojitos, drop a tablespoon of fresh minced mint in each glass, followed by 1/4 cup of cherry syrup and juice of 1 lime. Using the end of a wooden spoon (or whatever you have!) muddle the mixture together. The, add 2 oz rum and about a cup of sparkling water. Add ice! Serve with additional mint and cherries.