Chocolate Pretzel Pie – homemade chocolate pudding combined with a pretzel crust is going to be your favorite new way of eating sweet and savory.
Have you ever made homemade pudding before? If not, you will never want to buy those store bought pudding mixes again! All you do is combine all the ingredients in a sauce pan and cook the pudding until it gets thick. Then add the chocolate. Since this pudding has sugar in it already, you can use a bittersweet chocolate instead of regular semi sweet or regular chocolate. If you used one of those two chocolate types, the pudding would be very sweet. This pudding had the perfect chocolate intensity and combined with that pretzel crust, it makes the perfect sweet/salty combo!
- For the pretzel crust:
- 2 cups crushed pretzels
- 2 tablespoons of melted butter
- 1 tablespoon of sugar
- For the chocolate pie filling:
- ¼ cup cornstarch
- 1 ½ cups sugar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 4 egg yolks
- 3 cups 1 % milk
- 7 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 350˚F/175˚C.
- Combine pretzels, butter, and brown sugar. Press mixture into pie pan.
- Bake for 10 minutes or until golden.
- Let cool to room temperature.
- Whisk cornstarch, sugar, and salt in a medium saucepan.
- Mix in egg yolks and milk, and heat mixture at medium heat.
- Gently mix for about 6 minutes or until the mixture thickens like a pudding.
- Once thick, take the mixture off the heat and immediately add your chocolate, vanilla, butter, and lemon juice.
- Mix until ingredients are incorporated into a smooth pudding texture.
- Pour filling into the cooled crust and smooth with a spatula as desired. (Any extra filling can be saved in cups and eaten immediately, or chilled for pudding cups.)
- Let the pie chill in the fridge uncovered for at least 4 hours.
- Serving Size: Not a Weight Watcher recipe