If you're counting carbs, this quiche is for you! The original recipe calls for a pie crust and I opted out. It's packed full of spinach for some fiber and protein, and the gouda cheese, just makes it gouda! Sorry, for the lame joke about cheese.
The first time I had this quiche was at my brother's house. He had made it for breakfast once. We had it at 9am in the morning. That same morning my Mom and I were driving home from Minneapolis. This quiche kept me full until about 1pm. Now, that I'm watching my carb intake, I opted for a crustless quiche. It's still delicious and yummy without the crust. You can chose weather or not you want to add the crust or not. It's your choice!
Sprinkle some more gouda cheese on top or add in some ham, sausage or bacon for even more protein.Print
Crustless Spinach and Gouda Quiche
- Yield: 8 1x
- 6 tablespoons butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons 1% low-fat milk
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg yolk
- 5.6 ounces all-purpose flour (about 1 ¼ cups) $
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- ½ cup thinly sliced green onions
- 3 cups fresh baby spinach
- 1 cup 1% low-fat milk
- ¾ cup (3 ounces) grated smoked Gouda cheese
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- Dash of grated nutmeg
- 3 large eggs
- To prepare crust, place butter in a large bowl; beat with a mixer at medium speed until light and fluffy. Combine milk, salt, and egg yolk in a small bowl; stir well with a whisk. Add milk mixture to butter, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating well after each addition. Add flour; beat just until combined. Press mixture into a 4-inch circle on plastic wrap; cover. Chill for 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Unwrap and place chilled dough on a lightly floured surface. Roll dough into a 10-inch circle. Fit dough into a 9-inch pie plate. Freeze 15 minutes. Bake at 350° for 25 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool.
- To prepare filling, heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onions; sauté 5 minutes or until tender. Add spinach; sauté 2 minutes.
- Combine 1 cup milk and remaining ingredients in a bowl; stir well with a whisk. Stir in spinach mixture. Pour filling into crust. Bake at 350° for 35 minutes. Cut into 10 wedges.
myWW points: Blue Points: 9; Green Points: 9; Purple Points: 9
Recipe from Cooking Light
- Serving Size: 1 slice
- Calories: 205
- Sugar: .54
- Fat: 12.9
- Saturated Fat: 8.7
- Carbohydrates: 15.4
- Fiber: 1.1
- Protein: 7.3
Leave a Reply