This Freezer Apple Pie Filling you have to toy around with the recipe quite a bit. It calls for 10 cups of water and 24 cups of chopped peeled apples.
- 24 cups sliced peeled baking apples (6-7 lbs)
- 3 Tablespoons lemon juice
- 4 ½ cups sugar (I use half brown sugar, half white)
- 1 cup cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 10 cups water
- In a large bowl, toss apples with lemon juice; set aside. In a Dutch oven (large kettle works) over medium heat, combine sugar, cornstarch, cinnamon, salt and nutmeg.
- Add water; bring to a boil. Boil for 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Add apples; return to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer until apples are tender, about 6-8 minutes. Cool for 30 minutes. Ladle into freezer containers, leaving ½ inch headspace.
- Cool at room temperature no longer than 1 ½ hours. Seal and freeze; store for up to 12 months. Yield: 5 ½ quarts (enough for about five 9-inch pies).
- Category: Medium
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: freezer apple pie filling