If you haven’t noticed recently, my site has been having some issues lately. If you’ve come here and have seen a message saying internal server error 500 I’m sorry. I’m trying to get that issue resolved so that doesn’t keep on happening. My site has been getting a lot of traffic, and the MySQL database can crash. I have to go in and turn it back on if that happens. Come back later on if you see that error please.
Have you ever had duck fat fries before? How bout duck fat fries with gruyere cheese and duck bacon on top? There’s this restaurant in town here called the Beef Steak Club that serves Duck Fat Fries and they top it off with gruyere cheese, duck bacon, and sour cream. It is so DAMN GOOD. I don’t get to go down town as much as I could to get those fries, so I made them at home. Finally got some gruyere cheese at Sam’s Club the other day ago. That stuff is expensive and so is bacon these days, but those two ingredients are worth it for the price they are.
This is my version of their Duck Fat Fries. I didn’t even bother to go out looking for duck fat. Instead, I baked my fries in the oven until they were crispy on the outside and soft in the middle. Then, I topped them with some melted cheese, bacon, sour cream, and chives. If you can’t find gruyere cheese Swiss is always a good substitute. This was my dinner tonight. Mmmmmmm…. I have dreams about these fries cause they are that good. Put some tinfoil on your baking sheets for easy clean up.
- 1 russet potato
- salt and pepper
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 3 tablespoons of gruyere cheese
- 2 to 3 tablespoons of cooked bacon (i like a lot)
- 2 teaspoons of chopped chives
- Sour cream for topping
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Using a mandoline, slice the potatoes into large slices. Cut the potatoes into the shape of french fries with a knife.
- Place the french fries on a lined baking sheet with aluminum foil. Drizzle with some olive oil and salt and pepper. I don’t normally measure this just enough to coat the potatoes. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until the edges are crispy and brown.
- When the fries are done baking, take them out of the oven and top them with the cheese. Place back into the oven and melt the cheese.Take the melted cheesy fries out of the oven and top with bacon and chopped chives.
- I placed some sour cream in a piping bag and cut the tip of the piping bag to get the swirls. You don’t have to do that. It is just optional.
13 smart points for one serving