Popovers are amazing and pretty simple to make. A popover is a light roll made of flour, milk, and eggs. When I was young, I remember my Dad always making popovers. If you’ve never had a popover definitely try them! You will need some softened butter to spread on the popovers and they are best served warm right out of the oven. If you want plain popovers just leave out the cheese and chives and serve with some fresh jam.
A popover pan is not needed to make these rolls. You can use a larger muffin tin pan that makes jumbo size muffins or make mini popovers in a small cupcake tin. Make sure to spray the popover pan really well, or else they will stick to the pan.
To reheat popovers place them in the air fryer at 350 degrees for 2 minutes until they become warm and crispy again.
What Ingredients do I need?
In this section, you can find substitutes or suggestions for certain ingredients. I also will try and list out what the ingredients’ purpose is for.
Milk – whole or 2%, have not tried this with a milk substitute
Flour – all-purpose flour
Salt – to taste
Eggs – large, use pasteurized raised eggs if possible
Gruyere cheese and chives for flavor
How to make Gruyere and Chive popovers
To print the full recipe please see the recipe card below.
Preheat oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C).
Spray a popover pan or large muffin tin pan with nonstick cooking spray. Place pan on center rack of the oven and preheat for 2 minutes.
Blend flour, salt, eggs, milk, and melted butter together in a bowl. About 1 to 2 minutes. Stir in gruyere cheese and chives to combine.
Carefully take the out the pan from the oven using an oven mitt. Fill each cup half full with batter and bake for 20 minutes. Reduce heat to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C) and bake for another 15 to 20 minutes. Or until tops turn a golden brown color.
Other Recipes to Try
If you’ve tried this Gruyere and Chive Popovers recipe or any other recipe on the site, let me know in the comment section how it turned out. Snap a picture and upload it to Pinterest.Print
- 1 cup 2% or whole milk
- 1 cups flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup (lightly packed) shredded Gruyere cheese, separated
- 1 Tablespoon minced fresh chives
- 2 Tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into cubes
- Reheat oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C).
- Spray a popover pan or large muffin tin pan with nonstick cooking spray. Place pan on center rack of oven and preheat for 2 minutes.
- Blend flour, salt, eggs, and milk in a bowl until well combined. About 1 to 2 minutes. Stir in gruyere cheese and chives to combine.
- Carefully take out the pan from the oven using an oven mitt. Fill each cup half full with batter and bake 20 minutes. Reduce heat to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C) and bake for another 15 to 20 minutes. Or until tops turn golden brown color.
my WW points: blue 6, green 7, purple 6 (1 popover)
- Category: Easy
- Method: Mix
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 211
- Sugar: 11g
- Sodium: 717mg
- Fat: 11g
- Saturated Fat: 6g
- Unsaturated Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 18g
- Fiber: 1g
- Protein: 10g
Keywords: gruyere and chive popovers