These are the tacos I was telling you about earlier this week that my brother made. What makes these tacos is the salsa. I also learned another good tip from my brother and that is to grill the flour tortillas for a couple minutes on each side. That will give them a nice little crunch! My brother and I both have one thing in common and that is we both like to cook. Ben even liked these tacos and they don’t have any dairy in them. These weren’t very picture worthy, so sorry if the image of them is kind of crappy.
Another thing I like about these tacos is that they’re super healthy! The tomatillo salsa is pretty much vegetables a long with the cabbage. The salsa gives these tacos so much flavor you don’t need any extra added fat like cheese or sour cream to top your tacos off with! Don’t ask me how to find a ripe tomatillo either, cause I have no idea what to look for. They’re all covered in that wrap they come in. If anybody knows how to look for a ripe tomatillo please let me know!Print
For the Sauce:
- 1/2 pound tomatillos—husked, rinsed and quartered
- 1/2 small onion, quartered 1 jalapeño, seeded and chopped
- 3 garlic cloves Kosher salt
- Freshly black pepper
- 1/4 cup finely chopped cilantro
- 2 celery ribs, thinly sliced crosswise
- 1 1/4 pounds medium shrimp (about 36), shelled and deveined
- Twelve 6-inch bamboo skewers, soaked in water for 30 minutes
- Olive Oil Cooking Spray
- 12 corn tortillas,
- warmed Shredded green cabbage and parsley leaves, for serving
- In a medium saucepan, combine the tomatillos, onion, jalapeño and garlic with 1 cup of water and bring to a boil. Simmer over moderate heat until the vegetables are softened, about 8 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the vegetables to a blender. Boil the cooking liquid until reduced to 1/4 cup, then add it to the blender and let cool completely.
- Puree the salsa and season with salt and pepper. Transfer the salsa to a bowl, stir in the chopped cilantro and refrigerate until chilled, about 45 minutes. Meanwhile, in a bowl, toss the celery with the lime juice; season with salt and pepper.
- Light a grill or preheat a grill pan; oil the grill grate. Thread 3 shrimp onto each skewer. Brush the shrimp with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Grill over high heat, turning once, until lightly charred and cooked through, about 4 minutes.
- Remove the shrimp from the skewers and transfer to a platter. Serve the shrimp with the salsa, celery salad, warm tortillas, cabbage and parsley leaves so guests can assemble their own tacos.
- Serving Size: 1 taco
myWW points: Blue Points: 2; Green Points: 3; Purple Points: 2
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Grill
- Cuisine: Mexican
- Serving Size: 1 taco
Keywords: Healthy Shrimp Tacos with Tomatillo Salsa