- One 2- to 3-pound chicken, cut up
- 2 carrots, diced
- 2 celery stalks, diced
- 1/2 medium onion, diced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric
- 16 ounces frozen home-style egg noodles(such as Reame(TM)s)
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- Splash of half-and-half, optional
- 2 teaspoons finely minced fresh parsley
- Start by putting the chicken in a pot and covering it with water. Bring the water to a boil, and then reduce the heat to low. Simmer for 45 minutes. Remove the chicken from the pot. Set the chicken aside to cool briefly.
- Shred the chicken with 2 forks, reserving the bones. Return the bones to the pot and boil for 20 minutes. Remove the bones from the pot and discard.
- Add the shredded chicken, carrots, celery and onions to the pot. Then add the salt, pepper, thyme and turmeric. Bring the mixture to a gentle boil, and then reduce the heat and simmer for 10 minutes. Stir in the noodles; no need to thaw them first!
- Finally, mix the flour with 1/2 cup water until smooth. Stir the flour mixture, the splash of half and half (if you're into that kind of thing) and the minced parsley into the pot. Simmer until the noodles are tender, about 15 minutes, tasting and adding more salt if needed at the end. The soup should be thick and stew-like and your kitchen should smell like home.
Recipe from Ree Drummond
myWW points: Blue Points: 5; Green Points: 8; Purple Points: 5
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 197
- Sugar: 3
- Fat: 4
- Saturated Fat: 1
- Unsaturated Fat: 1
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 14
- Fiber: 1
- Protein: 30