If you have leftover ham from Easter or any leftover ham in general, you’re in luck cause you can easily make this soup! This ham and potato soup can be made on the stovetop, slow cooker, or Instant Pot and has plenty of hearty vegetables like carrots, potatoes, and onions in it.
Easter was really an odd Holiday this year and usually, I go to Minneapolis with my Mom to see my brother and his wife. Instead, I stayed home because of the social distancing rules and tried cooking a ham steak in the air fryer. I know, very exciting Easter Holiday right?! I can not wait until these social distancing rules are over. If you’ve never cooked ham steak before they are great for 1 or 2 people and they are pretty much just a thick slice of ham cut off a ham roast.
If you don’t have a ham steak and ham that is ready to make the soup with you can easily skip the next section. Also, be sure to check the recipes below if you are looking for any other recipes to use up that leftover ham with!
How to Cook Ham Steak in the Air fryer
Here is how I cooked my ham steak in the air fryer. I was going to do a whole separate post for this but decided to add it in here anyway in case you don’t want to get a whole entire ham roast to make this soup.
Make sure the ham steak will fit in your air fryer first. If the ham steak is too large just cut it in half so that it fits.
Set the temperature to 380.
Place the ham steak in the air fryer basket and close it. Set the timer to 12 minutes and flip the ham steak halfways through. Once the ham steak is cooked and ready to eat you can make this soup.
How to Make Instant Pot Ham and Potato Soup
Add the potatoes, onion, carrot, ham, beans, frozen corn, chicken broth, and spices to your Instant Pot and select soup setting. (Manual Pressure cook for 30 minutes)
Close and lock the lid and set the vent to sealing.
When finished cooking, quick-release pressure according to the manufacturer’s directions. Remove bay leaf.
Slow Cooker Instructions:
Add all the ingredients to your slow cooker and cook on low for 6 to 7 hours
Stove Top Instructions:
Add some olive oil to a pot and cook the onions and carrots until the onions are soft and tender.
Add the potatoes, corn, ham, spices, and chicken stock and simmer on the stove on medium low heat until the potatoes are tender. 30 minutes.
You can make a flavorful ham stock by adding water to the pot instead of chicken broth, with the bone and let that simmer for 30 minutes.
Other Recipes You Might Like
*If you make this recipe please comment and rate the recipe below to let everyone know how it is, or tag me on Instagram! If you want to upload a photo you can do that on Pinterest. Just find the post for it.Print
If you have any leftover ham you need to use up, try this simple recipe for Ham and Potato Soup. It can be made in your Instant Pot, Slow Cooker, or on the Stove Top.
- 2 medium Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 sweet yellow onion, diced
- 2 carrots, peeled and diced
- 1 1/2 cups leftover cooked ham (sliced, cubed, or shredded)
- 1 (15oz) can cannellini beans or butter beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup frozen corn kernels
- 5 cups of chicken broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp of dried thyme
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley leaves
- Add the potatoes, onion, carrot, ham, beans, frozen corn, chicken broth, and spices to your Instant Pot and select soup setting. (Manual Pressure cook for 30 minutes)
- Close and lock the lid and set the vent to sealing. Allow time for pressure to build.
- When finished cooking, quick-release pressure according to manufacturer’s directions.Remove bay leaf.
- Serve immediately.
- See notes above for how to make this soup in your slow cooker or Instant Pot
MyWW points: Blue: 3 ; Green: 6; Purple: 3
- Category: Easy
- Method: Instant Pot
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 1/2 cups
Keywords: instant pot ham and potato soup