Instant Pot Ham and Potato Soup is a delicious and easy meal that is perfect for a chilly day. This hearty soup is made with diced ham, potatoes, onions, carrots, and celery (optional). The ingredients are cooked together in a savory broth until the potatoes are tender and the flavors have melded together perfectly.
Easter was really an odd Holiday this year and usually, I go to Minneapolis with my Mom to see my brother and his wife. Instead, I stayed home because of the social distancing rules and tried cooking a ham steak in the air fryer. I know, very exciting Easter Holiday right?! I can not wait until these social distancing rules are over. If you've never cooked ham steak before they are great for 1 or 2 people and they are pretty much just a thick slice of ham cut off a ham roast.
If you don't have a ham steak and ham that is ready to make the soup with you can easily skip the next section. Also, be sure to check the recipes below if you are looking for any other recipes to use up that leftover ham with!
- Yellow onion, diced (can also use a white onion
- Carrots, peeled and diced
- Yukon Gold Potatoes - or any type of potato such as yellow or red.
- Leftover cooked ham (sliced, cubed, or shredded) Cooked ham is a good source of protein and can be a healthy addition to a well-balanced diet when consumed in moderation. Cooked ham can be enjoyed in a variety of ways. It can be sliced and served on sandwiches or as a topping on salads. It can also be used in recipes such as soup,s quiches, omelets, and casseroles.
- Cannellini beans are a great source of protein, fiber, and iron, making them a nutritious addition to any meal.
- Frozen Corn Kernels - refers to corn that has been harvested, cooked, and preserved in a can. It is a popular food item due to its convenience and long shelf life. However, some people prefer fresh or frozen corn for its taste and texture.
- Chicken broth - The best type of chicken stock to use is one that is homemade. For canned stock, I look for ones that say reduced sodium or fat free.
- Bay leaves have a slightly bitter taste and a strong aroma that can be described as sweet, spicy, and woody.Garlic, minced
- Thyme has a slightly minty and earthy taste, and it is often used in Mediterranean and Middle Eastern cuisine.Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Chopped fresh parsley leaves
- See the recipe card below for a full list of ingredients and measurements.
How to Make Instant Pot Ham and Potato Soup
Add the potatoes, onion, carrot, ham, beans, frozen corn, chicken broth, and spices to your Instant Pot and select soup setting. (Manual Pressure cook for 30 minutes)
Close and lock the lid and set the vent to sealing.
When finished cooking, quick-release pressure according to the manufacturer’s directions. Remove bay leaf.
Add all the ingredients to your slow cooker and cook on low for 6 to 7 hours
Add some olive oil to a pot and cook the onions and carrots until the onions are soft and tender. Add the potatoes, corn, ham, spices, and chicken stock and simmer on the stove on medium low heat until the potatoes are tender. 30 minutes.
I have the Instant Pot Duo 6 QT Electric Pressure Cooker. You can find it on Amazon. I'm not sponsored by them, it just a kitchen appliance I really like to use. Gotta love those multi-cookers! The Instant Pot Duo multi-cooker combines 7 appliances in one: pressure cooker, slow cooker, rice cooker, steamer, sauté pan, yogurt maker and warmer – and cooks up to 70% faster!
You can make a flavorful ham stock by adding water to the pot instead of chicken broth, with the bone and let that simmer for 30 minutes.
Other Recipes You Might Like
If you tried this Instant Pot Ham and Potato Soup any other recipe on my website, please please leave a 🌟 star rating and let me know how you go in the 📝 comments below. I love hearing from you! Follow along on Tiktok @jennarecipediariesPrint
If you have any leftover ham you need to use up, try this simple recipe for Ham and Potato Soup. It can be made in your Instant Pot, Slow Cooker, or on the Stove Top.
- 2 medium Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 sweet yellow onion, diced
- 2 carrots, peeled and diced
- 1 ½ cups leftover cooked ham (sliced, cubed, or shredded)
- 1 (15oz) can cannellini beans or butter beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup frozen corn kernels
- 5 cups of chicken broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp of dried thyme
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley leaves
- Add the potatoes, onion, carrot, ham, beans, frozen corn, chicken broth, and spices to your Instant Pot and select soup setting. (Manual Pressure cook for 30 minutes)
- Close and lock the lid and set the vent to sealing. Allow time for pressure to build.
- When finished cooking, quick-release pressure according to manufacturer’s directions.Remove bay leaf.
- Serve immediately.
- See notes above for how to make this soup in your slow cooker or Instant Pot
MyWW points: Blue: 3 ; Green: 6; Purple: 3
- Category: Easy
- Method: Instant Pot
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 ½ cups
Keywords: instant pot ham and potato soup