I’ve had this huge bag of coconut flour sitting in my pantry for what seems like forever. Got a huge bag of it at Sam’s Club. Finally getting around to trying out some recipes with it. Coconut flour is a great subsitute for regular flour when trying to eat low carb. That and almond flour. It’s great for coating food like onions or other vegetables.
The Big Game is coming up soon, and if you have any friends or relatives that are on low carb diets these would be great to make for them. They probably couldn’t even tell the difference, and yes if you’re wondering, coconut flour does have that coconut taste to them. If you’re looking for a low carb condiment to dip the onion rings in try hot sauce. Ketchup has a lot of sugar in it. I don’t really recommend it for a dipping sauce on a low carb diet.Print
- 1 large onion
- 1 egg
- 2 Tbsp coconut flour
- 2 Tbsp grated parmesan cheese
- oil for frying
- Heat the oil in a medium saute pan.
- Meanwhile, beat the egg in a shallow bowl. Combine the coconut flour and parmesan in a shallow bowl.
- Slice up your onion to a thickness of about ½ – ¾ of an inch and break up the rings until you have a big pile. Add all of the onion rings to the beaten egg and mix thoroughly so they are well coated. Soak the onions in the egg for at least a minute, and then in small batches dip in the coating and then into the hot oil.
- Fry until golden brown and then turn with a fork or tongs to brown the other side. Remove to a plate lined with paper towels to soak up any excess oil.
Recipe from I Breath I’m Hungry