My 1 smart point meatballs and this 0 point marinara sauce come together to make one of the most epic meatball sammies!
For the Marinara Sauce
- 24 oz of crushed tomatoes
- 3 tablespoons of tomato paste; Amore Tomato paste in a tube
- 1/2 cup of water
- 2 tsp of garlic
- 2 tsp of olive oil
- 1/2 of onion finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon of dried basil
- Salt and pepper (optional, I like my sauce low sodium but feel free to add it)
For the Meatballs
- 1 lb 93/7 lean ground beef
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup of bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup of diced onion (dice really fine)
- 2 tsp of fresh garlic (I use the garlic in a jar)
- 1 tablespoon of dried parsley flakes
- 1oz of grated parmesan cheese
- 1/4 tsp each of salt and pepper
6 slices of Sargento Thinly sliced Swiss cheese
6 Lite Hamburger Buns such as Village Hearth
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Add 3 tsp of olive oil to a pan and cook the onions until soft. Stir in garlic and tomato paste. The tomato paste and onions will look thick so add in 1/2 cup of water. Let the water and onions simmer for a bit and add in the basil and then the crushed tomatoes. Let it simmer for 15 to 20 minutes. Adding salt and pepper is optional. I do not add any salt because I have to watch my sodium intake.
- Spray a large cookie sheet with cooking spray.
- In another saucepan, cook the onions until they are soft and tender. Let them cool for a bit before you add them to the meatball mixture.
- Mix together ground beef, onion, bread crumbs, garlic, egg, cheese, salt, pepper and parsley in a large mixing bowl.
- Form into 1-inch balls and place on prepared cookie sheet.
- Bake in preheated oven for 15-20 minutes, or until meatballs are browned and cooked through.
- Lay 3 Swiss cheese on the bottom bun along with 3 meatballs and 2 tablespoons of marinara sauce. You can toast the sandwich however you like. I did mine in my air fryer for a couple of minutes at 350.
7 smart points for 1 sandwich