This orange chicken salad is so good and perfect to eat after a really good workout! It is loaded with dry chow mein noodles, chicken, mandarin oranges, and peanuts. I like to sometimes add some diced avocado to the salad whenever I have ripe avocados in my house.
A salad can get ruined quickly if you use too much dressing on top of it. I've made that mistake a few times whenever I make a salad. Just be careful how much dressing you add to the top of it. If you don't want to use the dressing recipe below a peanut dressing would be really good with this salad also. The chow mein noodles give the salad a nice little crunch to it also. Added in some avocado.
Are you curious about what you can substitute for certain ingredients? Check out this section.
Romaine Lettuce - Sub iceberg, mixed greens, or even coleslaw
Chicken Breast - Make this salad whenever you have cooked chicken on hand. Rotisserie is also great and so is canned chicken
Green Onions - no substitute
Carrot - Use shredded carrots
Chow Mein Noodles - Instead of Chow Mein noodles you could use thinly cut tortilla strips
Peanuts - If you are allergic to peanuts use another type of nut that you can eat. Slivered almonds or any other type of nut will be ok
Mandarin Oranges - Canned pineapple chunks or tidbits is a good substitute
Other Toppings - Diced avocados are really good with this salad
How to make Orange Chicken Salad
For the full recipe, please see the recipe card below.
Mix all dressing ingredients until well combined; refrigerate for a minimum of 1 hour.
In a large bowl combine the lettuce with chicken, green onions, dry noodles, carrot, and chopped peanuts; mix to combine.
Pour on the dressing; toss to combine.
Top with mandarin orange segments.
Makes 6 servings, serving size: 1 cup.
Other Recipes to Try
If you’ve tried this Orange Chicken Salad or any other recipe on the site, let me know in the comment section how it turned out. Snap a picture and upload it to share on PinterestPrint
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons canned mandarin juice
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 3 -4 teaspoons sesame oil
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- 3 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 small romaine lettuce
- 4 cooked boneless skinless chicken breasts (shredded or chopped)
- 3 green onions, chopped
- ⅓ cup coarsely grated carrot
- 2 cups dry chow mein noodles (can use more or less)
- ⅓ cup toasted chopped peanuts
- canned mandarin oranges (drained, reserve 2 teaspoons juice for the dressing)
- Mix all dressing ingredients until well combined; refrigerate for a minimum of 1 hour.
- In a large bowl combine the lettuce with chicken, green onions, dry noodles, carrot, or chopped peanuts; mix to combine.
- Pour on the dressing; toss to combine.
- Top with mandarin orange segments.
- Serve immediately.
- Makes 6 servings, serving size: 1 cup.
myWW points: Blue 11; Green 12; Purple 11
Please see the ingredients list above for substitutions.
- Category: Easy
- Method: Mix
- Cuisine: Asian
- Serving Size: 1 cup
- Calories: 350
- Sugar: 6.7g
- Sodium: 235.8
- Fat: 21.3g
- Saturated Fat: 3
- Carbohydrates: 19.4G
- Fiber: 3.9G
- Protein: 22G