Pesto Pizza with sausage and caramelized onions is one of my latest pizza creations. This pesto pizza uses pesto as the sauce and is topped with mozzarella, ricotta cheese, caramelized onions, and smoked sausage.
- 1 recipe for homemade pizza crust
- 1 to 2 tablespoons of storebought pesto
- 1/2 cup part-skim shredded mozzarella cheese
- 5 tablespoons of reduced fat Ricotta Cheese
- 2 oz Smoked Turkey Sausage
- Caramelized Onions
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil.
- Make your favorite pizza dough recipe. I listed 2 options for that above. Place the pizza dough on the prepared baking sheet; brush with olive oil.
- If you are making caramelized onions (which is optional) Cook the sliced onions in a nonstick skillet with some butter for 15 to 20 minutes on medium-low heat. The caramelized onions are done when they are a golden brown color. If you find the onions drying out in the pan add small amounts of water in the skillet. Spread the onions evenly over the pizza.
- Spread the pesto sauce over the pizza dough.
- Dollop ricotta cheese on top of the pesto and sprinkle with mozzarella cheese.
Slice the sausage into rounds and place evenly over top of the pizza.
- Bake in the preheated oven until pizza is crispy on the edges and cheese is melted, about 8 minutes.
myWW points: Blue Points: 4; Green Points: 4; Purple Points: 4
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 slice
Keywords: pizza, pesto, caramelized onions, french onions, sausage