- 1 pound penne pasta
- 1 1/2 pounds large shrimp
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup white wine, optional or chicken broth
- 1 16oz jar of marinara sauce
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 tsp of Paprika
- 1/2 tsp of crushed red pepper or more depending on how spicy you like it
- Bring a pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Cook the penne until al dente (firm yet tender). Drain and set aside.
- Begin by peeling and deveining the shrimp and rinsing them under cold water. Season the shrimp with paprika and crushed red pepper.
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, add 1 tablespoon of the butter and 1 tablespoon of the olive oil. When the pan is hot, add the shrimp. Stir and cook on both sides until just starting to turn opaque, about 2 minutes. Remove to a plate and allow to cool slightly.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, add the remaining 1 tablespoon butter and 1 tablespoon olive oil. Add the garlic and onion. Stir to combine and cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion is translucent, about 3 minutes.
- Pour the wine into the pan if using. Stir and allow it to evaporate about 45 seconds. Pour in the marinara sauce and stir to combine. Reduce the heat to low. Pour in the cream. Mmmm. Stir well to combine; reduce the heat to simmer.
- And now for the fun part: remove the tails from the shrimp, chop the shrimp into medium-size pieces and add them to the sauce a long with the cooked pasta. Stir gently to combine.
myWW points: Blue 11; Green 13; Purple 11
Recipe adapted from Ree Drummond
- Category: Easy
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 cup
- Calories: 314
- Sugar: 2
- Fat: 18
- Saturated Fat: 9
- Unsaturated Fat: 6
- Trans Fat: 1
- Carbohydrates: 20
- Fiber: 1
- Protein: 25
Keywords: penne alla betsy