I’ve been buying those containers of hummus a lot at the grocery store lately. This weekend, I just decided I’m gonna make my own hummus from now on because it is a lot cheaper. Some of the Sabra hummus which I love, can get to be quite expensive if you buy that every week. One container is almost $4.00. A can of chickpeas in the grocery store is only .89. If you buy a jar of ground sesame seeds and have that on hand all the time think of all the money you can save.
Roasted Garlic Hummus – creamy ground up chickpeas with fresh roasted garlic. The perfect dip for veggies!
If you’re looking for ways to eat healthy, hummus is the way to go. I like topping mine with feta cheese, fresh dill, and diced cucumbers and tomatoes. For dipping, I prefer pita chips but the healthy way to go would be cucumbers, carrots, or celery. Whatever your favorite veggies are would be fine too. 🙂Print
- 2 cups canned chick-peas or 2 cups cooked chickpeas
- 2 tablespoons tahini
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄4 cup warm water
- 1 large head of garlic
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 1⁄4 teaspoon sea salt
- Preheat oven to 375°F Cut off the very top of the garlic clove (about 1/4″) so that the tops of most of the cloves are exposed slightly. Coat with a little olive oil and wrap securely in tin foil. Roast garlic in oven for 1 hour. Remove and allow to cool.
- Using your fingers, squeeze the soft, roasted garlic out of each clove into food processor. Rinse and drain cooked or canned chickpeas. Add them, and all other ingredients, to the food processor and blend until completely smooth.
- Scrape ingredients off sides of food processor to make sure it blends evenly. If you find that the hummus is too thick, you can add additional olive oil at this time. Add it very slowly, allowing the mixture to combine fully before adding more liquid.
- Serve at room temperature with crudites, warm pita or crackers.
- Optional: Sprinkle with chopped parsley or paprika before serving.
myWW points: Blue Points: 3; Green Points: 6; Purple Points: 3
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 91.1
- Sugar: .1
- Saturated Fat: .7
- Fiber: 1.8
- Protein: 2.2