Sweet Potato and Sausage Hash is a good way to start off any weekend morning. The sweet potatoes get cooked in some boiling water. The sausage and onion get cooked in a skillet and I learned something new today while cooking sausage. If you poor in a little bit of water, that helps to get the brown sticky bits off the bottom of the pan. The water will absorb in the skillet and your pan will be clean. The sausage and sweet potatoes give you that sweet and salty combo, and then you have that egg that gets cooked on top of the sweet potatoes and sausage.
This kind of reminded me of the Oven Baked Sausage and Potato recipe that is popular on this blog. I like my potatoes a bit on the crispy side, so next time I’m going to just bake the potatoes in the oven. Another breakfast dinner winner.
I’m not really a fan of sweet potatoes either, but I love sweet potato fries. I’m slowly becoming a sweet potato lover. Slowly.Print
- 1 cup 1/2-inch chunks peeled sweet potato
- 1/8 tsp kosher salt
- 4 oz uncooked turkey sausage links, chopped or crumbled
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp Asian Chili Sauce
- 2 eggs
- In a medium skillet combine sweet potato, 1/2 cup of water, and the salt. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer covered, for 5 to 8 minutes or just until tender. Drain. Set aside.
- Coat the bottom of the same skillet with nonstick cooking spray and cook sausage until browned, stirring to break up meat as it cooks. Add onion and 3 tablespoons water, scraping up any browned bits. Cook, covered, for 2 minutes. Add cooked sweet potato, the Worcestershire sauce, balsamic vinegar, and Asian chili sauce. ook and stir until potatoes are heated through.
- Using a wooden spoon, make two depressions in the sweet potato mixture. Break each egg into a small dish; pour one egg into each depression. Cover and cook for 2 to 3 minutes or until egg whites are set and yolks are starting to thicken. Makes 2 servings.
myWW points: Blue Points: 7; Green Points: 8; Purple Points: 4
- Serving Size: 1/2 of the recipe
- Calories: 269
- Sugar: 4
- Fat: 11
- Saturated Fat: 3
- Carbohydrates: 15
- Fiber: 2
- Protein: 21