- 5 lb bone-in beef short ribs
- Salt and black pepper – to taste
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 3 onions, finely chopped – can sub leeks
- 3 carrots, finned chopped
- 2 celery ribs, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons of tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon of flour
- 1 cup of beef broth
- 3 cups of red wine
- Preheat oven to 350°. Season short ribs with salt and pepper. Heat oil in a large Dutch oven over medium-high. Working in 2 batches, brown short ribs on all sides, about 8 minutes per batch. Transfer short ribs to a plate. Pour off all but 3 Tbsp. drippings from pot.
- Add onions, carrots, and celery to pot and cook over medium-high heat, stirring often, until onions are browned, about 5 minutes. Add flour and tomato paste; cook, stirring constantly, until well combined and deep red, 2-3 minutes. Stir in wine and beef broth, then add short ribs with any accumulated juices.
- Cook until short ribs are tender, 2–2½ hours. Transfer short ribs to a platter. Strain sauce from pot into a measuring cup. Spoon fat from surface of sauce and discard; season sauce to taste with salt and pepper. ]
- Serve in shallow bowls over mashed potatoes with sauce spooned over.
- Category: Medium
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1
Keywords: wine braised short ribs