French Onion Chicken is made in one skillet. This is probably BY FAR THE best chicken recipe I’ve made in quite some time
1 tablespoon of butter
2 medium sliced onions
3 tablespoons beef broth
Chicken and Sauce:
4 cooked skinless boneless chicken breasts
2 teaspoons of olive oil
Salt and pepper
1 cup of fat-free beef broth (reduced sodium)
2 tablespoons of cornstarch
4 slices of Sargento Ultra Thin provolone cheese slices
2 tablespoons of freshly chopped chives (optional)
- Add butter to pan. Melt.
- Add sliced onions and 3 tablespoons of beef broth.
- Cook the onions on low heat (between 1 and 5) for 15 to 20 minutes or until they are caramelized.
- Remove the onions from the pan and transfer them to a dish.
- In order for the chicken to cook evenly all at once, the thickness of each chicken breast should all be the same size. Pound them out evenly with a rolling pin or meat Mallet.
- Season chicken with salt, pepper, and olive oil. Add the chicken to the skillet and cook 5 to 7 minutes on each side. When chicken is done it should register at 165 degrees or no longer be pink in the middle. If the chicken is not done cooking yet, it will continue cooking when you place it back in with the sauce.
- Remove the chicken from the skillet and set them aside.
- Add the French onions to the skillet again with 2 tablespoons of cornstarch and 1 cup of beef broth. Whisk until everything is combined. The sauce should start to thicken after 2 minutes.
- Place the chicken back in the skillet and let it continue cooking in the sauce. 3 to 4 minutes.
- Lay one slice of provolone cheese on top of each chicken breast and cover the pot with a lid. Melt the cheese with the lid on top.
- Garnish the chicken with more cracked black pepper or chives.
Blue Points: 3; Green Points: 7; Purple Points:3
- Category: Chicken
- Method: Stove Top
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 238
- Sugar: 2g
- Fat: 11g
- Saturated Fat: 4g
- Carbohydrates: 9g
- Fiber: 1g
- Protein: 26g
Keywords: low carb, keto, weight watchers, french onion chicken