3/4 cup lukewarm water
1 1/8 tsp active dry yeast
1 tsp. granulated sugar
2 c. All-purpose flour, plus more for surface
1 tsp. kosher salt
1 tsp of baking soda
Bagel toppings of Choice
- Grease a large bowl with cooking spray. In a small bowl or glass measuring cup, add warm water and sugar and sprinkle yeast on top. Let that sit out until it becomes foamy.
- In a bowl combine flour, salt, (forgot to add in the video) and yeast mixture. Mix the dough with your hands, until the dough is smooth.
- Place the dough in the prepared bowl and cover with a kitchen towel and let rise at room temperature for 1 ½ hour or until doubled in size.
- Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper or a Silpat.
- Place dough on a floured surface (or parchment paper) and divide the dough into 5 equally sized portions. Roll each portion into a smooth ball, then poke your finger through the middle and stretch the dough with your finger to create a ring. Let the bagels sit out at room temperature for 1 hr. They will double in size.
- Preheat oven to 425°
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add baking soda. The water will foam for a while. Working in batches of 2 to 3 at a time, add bagels to boiling water.
- Boil for 1 to 2 minutes. Remove from water and place on a prepared baking sheet. Repeat with remaining dough.
- Add bagel seasoning to the bagels. Bake until deeply golden, 20 to 25 minutes.
my WW: blue 5; green 5; purple 5
- Category: Easy
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 bagel
Keywords: homemade bagels