A flavorful homemade spice rub for Jerk Seasoning which can be used to flavor any type of protein like chicken or pork. Serve with Jamaican rice and peas on the side! Recipe included below.
1 tablespoon onion powder
2 teaspoons ground thyme
1 teaspoon dried parsley
1 teaspoon ground allspice
¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon paprika
½ teaspoon hot pepper flakes
¼ teaspoon ground cumin
1 tablespoon garlic powder
2 teaspoons salt
¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
2 teaspoons sugar
4 Chicken Breasts or Chicken Thighs
Rice and Peas
8 ounces small dried red beans or 8 ounces red kidney beans
1 quart water
16 ounces chicken stock or 16 ounces water
1⁄2 cup light coconut milk
2 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves
1⁄2 teaspoon ground allspice
2 scallions, finely chopped
1⁄2 cup white onion, chopped
2 minced garlic cloves
1 teaspoon black pepper
1 1⁄2 teaspoons kosher salt
1 scotch bonnet pepper (left whole)
1 teaspoon brown sugar
2 1⁄4 cups uncooked long grain brown rice
- Simply measure and add all the dry spices to a bowl and stir them to combine. Store the seasoning in plastic bags or airtight containers.
- Rub your chicken with jerk seasoning before you are ready to grill or however you want to cook your chicken. Serve it with some rice and peas on the side. Recipe below:
- Rinse and sort beans and place in a stockpot.
Rice and Peas:
- Cover with several inches of water and soak overnight,-or- bring to a boil, boil gently for 3 minutes, then remove from heat, cover, and allow to sit undisturbed for 1 hour.
- Drain and rinse beans.
- Bring to a boil with chicken stock, water, and coconut milk.
- Cover, reduce heat, and simmer for 1 1/2-2 hours or until beans are tender and creamy.
- Add the thyme, allspice, scallion, onion, garlic, scotch bonnet, brown sugar, uncooked rice, salt and pepper.
- Check the level of liquid over the rice and make sure there is at least one inch of liquid (if not, you may add water or broth to cover).
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer for 20-30 minutes or until rice is tender.
- Serve hot as a side dish, with Jamaican hot sauce as a condiment, if desired.
- For Vegetarian use water not the chicken broth or stock.
Seasoning blend: Spice blends that are homemade, I typically don't count points for. Use a lean protein like shrimp or chicken to make it zero if following blue or purple plan.
Rice points: green 3; blue 3; purple 1 (1/2 cup servings)
- Category: Easy
- Method: Stir
- Cuisine: Jamaican
- Calories: 563
- Sugar: 8g
- Fat: 6g
- Saturated Fat: 3g
- Unsaturated Fat: 1g
- Carbohydrates: 100g
- Fiber: 18g
- Protein: 26g
Keywords: Jamaican Jerk Seasoning