- 2 medium onions, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 8 slices of Light Italian Bread
- 1 lb of 93% lean ground beef
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 4 slices of Swiss cheese (thinly sliced)
- Reduced sugar ketchup for dipping
- Begin by caramelizing the onions. Bring a nonstick skillet to low heat.
- Add a tablespoon of olive oil and the sliced onions to the skillet. Let the onions cook on low for 30 minutes or until they start to turn a deep amber color.
- If the onions start to look dry while they cook add a little bit of water and continue to cook until they are done.
- Shape ground beef into 4 equal patties and season them with salt and pepper.
- Remove the caramelized onions from the pan and set them aside on a plate. Clean off the skillet and return it back to the stove.
- Place the burger patties on the skillet and cook them on each side for 3 to 5 minutes. Add cheese on top of the burger patty and let the cheese melt. Remove from skillet.
- Wipe the skillet dry with a paper towel. Then place back on the stove. Brush butter on one side of the sliced bread and place it on the skillet. Place it on the skillet with the burger patty and cheese. Cook each side of bread until it is golden brown and color and repeat this step until all 4 patties are used.
my WW: blue 9; green 9; purple: 9
- Category: Medium
- Method: Stovetop
- Serving Size: 1 patty melt
Keywords: patty melts