- 1 pound ground pork sausage with sage
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 20 grape tomatoes, sliced in half and sprinkled with salt
- 6 large eggs
- 10 ounces sharp Cheddar cheese, grated (about 2 1/2 cups)
- Salt and pepper
- Two 9-inch unbaked frozen pie shells (set them out to thaw while preparing the other ingredients)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large skillet, cook the sausage until browned and cooked through, about 10 minutes. Then remove with a slotted spoon and reserve.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk the baking powder, tomatoes and eggs together. Add the cooked sausage and the cheese to the egg mixture and stir together with a large spoon. Add salt and pepper and divide the mixture between both unbaked pie shells. Bake until the filling is set, about 30 minutes. Serve warm or at room temperature.
- Cook’s Notes: To lighten up this quiche, use turkey sausage and egg substitute.
- Garth likes this quiche with cheese tortellini. If you add tortellini, cover with egg or the pasta will burn when the quiche bakes.
Slice into 8 pieces and serve. Yields 1 slice per serving.
- Serving Size: 1 slice