I’ve got some bad news. I am pretty sure I’m lactose intolerant and I’ve been having the worst side effects of my life after eating dairy. I’ve been trying to cut it out of my diet, but it is hard because cheese is so stinking good and it is in EVERYTHING. You can develop lactose intolerance at some point in your life. If you look up lactose intolerance on webmd, I’ve experienced every damn side effect listed. 🙁
Got my meetup group tonight. We are still cooking recipes from the cookbook Cook’s County and I’m bringing Beer Cheese Soup. Perfect timing after discovering that I might be lactose intolerance. Beer Cheese soup is exactly how it sounds, it has beer and cheese in it. If you’re going to have beer cheese soup, you got to have a soft pretzel with it. I attempted to make those and most of my pretzels didn’t even look like pretzels after. This will be the last recipe I make for quite sometime that has cheese in it.
This would be a good time to find a picture of a true pretzel on pinterest, or any other website and compare it to this one above where the caption would read “nailed it.”
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 onion chopped fine
- 2 carrots peeled and chopped fine
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- ⅓ cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups whole or 2 percent low fat milk
- 1¼ cups beer
- 12 ounces sharp cheddar cheese (3 cups)
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- salt and pepper
- Melt butter in Dutch oven over medium heat. Add onion and carrots and cook until lightly browned, 8 to 10 minutes. Add garlic and cook until fragrant., about 30 seconds. Stir in flour and cook until golden, about 2 minutes. Slowly whisk in milk, broth, and beer. Bring mixture to simmer, then reduce heat to low and simmer gently until carrots are soft, 20 to 25 minutes.
- Meanwhile, toss cheeese and cornstarch together in large bowl until well combined. Working in batches process sop in blender until smooth, 1 to 2 minues. Reurn sopu to clean pot and simmer over medium-low heat. Whisk in cheese mixture, 1 handful at a time, until smooth. Season with salt and ppeper to taste; garnish with popcorn, if using; and serve.
Points Plus: 7