Dorito Taco salad is loaded with taco flavored ground beef, lettuce, tomatoes, cheese, and crushed Dorito chips.
Catalina dressing is what my aunt always used and I think it works best with this. I’ve tried it with Ranch before but it simply didn’t do the justice that Catalina does.
Why You Will Love This Salad
Dorito Taco Salad is probably one of my most favorite salads ever! I remember when I was little, this is what my Aunt Carol would always bring to our family potlucks and dinners. I would ask if she was bringing it all the time and my family knew that I really loved Doritos growing up as a kid. That is why I was nicknamed Dorito girl. Ha! I’m 38 now and no one ever calls me that anymore thank God! 🙂
This salad is best served cold. If you want to pack this Dorito taco salad for lunch or meal prep this, I would suggest leaving the Doritos off the salad or else they will get soggy. When you are ready to eat this salad, just crush the Doritos chips on top and eat!
Another meal that you can make with all Aldi ingredients.
- Ground beef 95% lean - Is considered better than higher fat options for several reasons. First, it has less saturated fat, which can contribute to heart disease and other health issues. Additionally, it tends to have fewer calories per serving, making it a good option for those watching their weight. The 96% lean ground beef from Aldi is my favorite.
- Iceberg lettuce or one bag of pre-chopped ice berg lettuce
- Taco seasoning reduced sodium - Is a blend of spices used to flavor ground beef or other meats for use in tacos. It typically includes a combination of chili powder, cumin, garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, and sometimes salt and pepper. It can be purchased pre-mixed, or made at home using individual spices. I usually buy the Lower Sodium Taco Seasoning packets.
- Tomato, diced - Some popular varieties for salads include cherry, grape, heirloom, and beefsteak tomatoes.
- Nacho cheese Doritos - Any brand of nacho cheese flavored tortilla chips will work for this. Sometimes I like to use the Cool Ranch flavored chips.
- Catalina dressing or ranch dressing
- Reduced-Fat Chedddar Cheese - has a lower calorie count and less saturated fat than regular cheese, but it may also have a different taste and texture. It also helps with keeping the calorie count pretty low for this recipe.
- See the recipe card below for a full list of ingredients and measurements.
How to make Dorito Taco Salad
Step 1: Brown the ground beef in a nonstick skillet; drain fat. Toss with dry taco seasoning, and set aside until cool. You can also use a homemade taco seasoning for this.
Step 2: In a large bowl, combine lettuce, tomatoes, and cheese. Right before serving, add the beef, Doritos, and dressing. Mix well.
Recipe Tip: Doritos will get soggy if you leave this salad sitting in the fridge over night or you make it the day before. Add them in the very last minute before serving to keep them crunchy!
Dorito Taco Salad Add-Ins
There are many different ways you can make this salad and lots of zero point ingredients you can add to this to bulk the salad up!
- Canned Corn - 0 smart points
- Black Beans - 0 smart points
- Pinto Beans - 0 smart points
- Scallions - 0 smart points
- Salsa - 0 smart points
- Greek Yogurt - 0 smart points
You can sub ground turkey or ground chicken to lower the points. I just really love ground beef over the 2 and prefer that.
Catalina dressing typically consists of tomato sauce or ketchup, sugar, vinegar, onion powder, paprika, and other seasonings.
If you want to eat this salad the next day, just store the salad part without the chips on top of the salad in a an air tight bowl. The Doritos will just get soggy leaving them in the fridge.
More Recipes to Try
If you tried this Dorito Taco Salad or any other recipe on my website, please please leave a 🌟 star rating and let me know how you go in the 📝 comments below. I love hearing from you! Follow along on Tiktok @jennarecipediariesPrint
Dorito Taco salad is loaded with taco flavored ground beef, lettuce, tomatoes, cheese, and crushed Dorito chips. Catalina dressing is what my aunt always used and I think it works best with this.
- 1 pound ground beef 95% lean
- 1 head iceberg lettuce or one bag of pre-chopped ice berg lettuce
- 1 packet (1oz/28g) taco seasoning reduced sodium
- 1 medium tomato, diced
- 2 oz nacho cheese doritos
- ¼ cup Catalina dressing or ranch dressing
- 1 ½ cups fat free cheddar cheese, shredded
- Brown ground beef; drain fat. Toss with dry taco seasoning, and set aside until cool.
- In a large bowl, combine lettuce, tomatoes, and cheese. Right before serving, add the beef, Doritos, and dressing. Mix well.
- Serving size: 1 cup
myWW points: Blue 5; Green 5; Purple 5
My WW Personal Points: 5 Click here to see in recipe builder (will have to log in)
Doritos will get soggy if you leave this salad sitting in the fridge over night or you make it the day before. Add them in the very last minute before serving to keep them crunchy!
- Category: Salad
- Method: Mix
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 cup
- Calories: 150
- Sugar: 6
- Saturated Fat: 2
- Carbohydrates: 14
- Fiber: 1
- Protein: 10
Keywords: dorito taco salad