Egg Roll in a Bowl (aka Crack Slaw) as some people like to call it, is a healthier alternative to egg rolls! People love this dish and it is low carb and Weight Watcher Friendly. See my tips below for other dietary needs.
Have you heard of this recipe yet? Egg Roll In a Bowl or Crack Slaw to me is a low carb version of egg rolls minus the egg roll wrapper and it is served in a bowl. Pretty simple and really easy to make. Watch my video below this to see how simple it is. This is a pretty legit recipe for the inside of egg rolls and I think I might even use the rest of it to make real egg rolls in my air fryer tomorrow.
My first time making this recipe I used regular pork sausage but most authentic egg roll recipes call for ground pork. To make this recipe point friendly and 0 points, you could use some ground up shrimp or chicken which would still be super good. If you still want the taste of sausage use some lean turkey sausage. It’s really up to you to decide what type of protein you can add in this! All the rest of the ingredients in this are pretty much zero points minus the sesame oil which is 1.
Ingredients for Egg Roll in a Bowl Points Breakdown
I get a lot of questions about the points on this recipe. Here is the breakdown. The only thing that has points is sesame oil and if you wish to eat the ENTIRE recipe then it would be 2 points but this recipe serves 6 people which would bring the recipe down to 0 points.
Minced Ginger – 0
Packaged Coleslaw Mix – 0
Shredded Carrot – 0
Scallions – 0
Low Sodium Soy Sauce – 0
Sesame Oil – 2
Ground Chicken Breast – 0
How to make Egg Roll in a Bowl
- Brown the meat in a medium nonstick skillet until cooked all the way through and then add the ginger.
- Add soy sauce and sesame oil.
- Add a full bag of coleslaw, stir till coated with sauce
- Add 1/2 bag of shredded carrots, stir until coated with sauce. Shredded carrots are optional since most coleslaw mix bags come with shredded carrots already in them. I just throw some extra in there to bulk the dish up a bit.
- Add chopped scallions, mix thoroughly.
Tips for Egg Roll in a Bowl
- Bake or air fry some wonton wrappers to use as scoops for the egg roll.
- Sesame oil is 1 1/2 tsp for 2 points. The whole recipe is 2 points if you are using zero point protein options but if you divide the recipe into 6 equal portions the recipe is now zero points.
- Gluten Free Option: It may come to a shock for some people but soy sauce contains gluten. To make this recipe gluten free sub coconut aminos in place of soy sauce. Sesame oil is made from sesame seeds so it is gluten free.
- Weight Watcher Zero Point Option: Adding chicken, shrimp or turkey will keep this recipe at zero points.
- Keto Option: Carrots are semi high in carbs, use a whole cabbage and chop that up instead of cole slaw mix and omit the carrots.
- I have finally turned this recipe into real egg rolls and they come in at 2 points each. See the recipe here.
- 1 tsp minced ginger
- 4 1⁄2 cup(s) packaged coleslaw mix (shredded cabbage and carrots)
- 1⁄2 cup(s) shredded carrot(s)
- 3 medium cooked scallion(s)
- 3 Tbsp low sodium soy sauce
- 1 1⁄2 tsp sesame oil
- 1 pound(s) ground chicken breast (can sub ground pork, turkey, or turkey sausage)
- Brown your choice of meat in a medium non stick skillet until cooked all the way through and then add the ginger.
- Add soy sauce and sesame oil.
- Add full bag of coleslaw, stir till coated with sauce
- Add 1/2 cup of shredded carrots, stir till coated with sauce
- Add chopped scallions, mix thoroughly and cook on medium high heat until the cole slaw has reduced by half.
myWW points: Blue Points: 0; Green Points: 3; Purple Points: 0
Disclaimer: I am not affiliated with WW in any way. I am just a member who creates recipes based on their points system. If you have any questions related to the program go to their website.
Sesame oil is 1 1/2 tsp for 2 points. The whole recipe is 2 points if you are using zero point protein options but if you divide the recipe into 6 equal portions the recipe is now zero points.
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Stove Top
- Cuisine: Asian
- Serving Size: 1/6th of the recipe
- Calories: 237
- Sugar: 7.2g
- Sodium: 565.1mg
- Fat: 11g
- Saturated Fat: 2.9g
- Unsaturated Fat: 0.1g
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 12.5g
- Fiber: 3g
- Protein: 22.4g
- Cholesterol: 97.5mg